jennavive00

New gluten-free Vodka

Rate this topic

www.kaivodka.com - It used to say it right on the label, but now it's only on the website. Either way, it's a new gluten free vodka made from rice. And don't let the "glutinous rice" label scare you. It's safe! I think it's fairly new, I'm in Hawaii and they sell it in the grocery stores. Not sure about the mainland...

I think this might be the stuff my brother likes. He has been drinking it for awhile and loves it.

I think this might be the stuff my brother likes. He has been drinking it for awhile and loves it.

I am a very newly diagnosed Celiac. My Mom had it for the last 20 years of her life and I was her caretaker so I am pretty familiar with it. But.....things have definately changed in the gluten-free world during my hiatus of 3 years.

Now on to my question.

I read that ALL Vodka's were gluten-free because they were distilled. Am I mistaken? I hope not, I love my Stoli Raz! :rolleyes:

I am a very newly diagnosed Celiac. My Mom had it for the last 20 years of her life and I was her caretaker so I am pretty familiar with it. But.....things have definately changed in the gluten-free world during my hiatus of 3 years.

Now on to my question.

I read that ALL Vodka's were gluten-free because they were distilled. Am I mistaken? I hope not, I love my Stoli Raz! :rolleyes:

Distilled gluten grains are safe for most celiacs. However some of us do have a gluten reaction from them. I am one of them and there are a few others on the board who do also. If you have been drinking Stoli and not having any issues then it is safe for you. If you have lingering symptoms you may want to discontinue drinking it until you are feeling better and then challenge it to see if that is what is causing the continued issues.

Thanks for that! unfortunately for me they don't sell in Canada <_< but my father's going to Maui in the fall so I might ask him to pick it up.

Looks like there are distributors on the US mainland, just not in all states.

another gluten free vodka is Ciroc, made from grapes, this is my current favorite (I'm another one that reacts to wheat based vodkas :( )

Smirnoff is made exclusively from corn, and is available in Canada as well as in the US.

I buy Vikingfjord. I only use it for an occasional mudslide or screwdriver however. I've never tasted it straight. It's inexpensive, $9.50 at my cheaper than dirt liquor store, probably 12- $14 other places. Made from potatos, cool bottle, from Norway, made with glacier water so you knows it's gots ta be good. :D

Here's a little info I thought was interesting:

How Vodka is Made

Vodka can be distilled from starchy or sugary plants. Today, vodka is produced from grains such as corn, wheat, rye or sorghum. The superior grain vodkas are produced from wheat and rye (example: Belvedere Vodka).

Still, other vodkas are produced not from grains but from potatoes, molasses, soybeans, grapes or oil refining and wood pulp processing byproducts.

All vodkas tend to have a neutral taste because they are filtered through charcoal which removes all impurities so that only pure alcohol and pure water remain.

Differences in taste between Vodka Brands*

Many vodka consumers claim they can tell a difference in taste between different brands. To test this ability the ABC News program

Smirnoff is made exclusively from corn, and is available in Canada as well as in the US.

Do you know if Smirnoff Ice is gluten free?

Do you know if Smirnoff Ice is gluten free?

Smirnoff Ice is a malt liquor, at least in the US. It is not safe.