This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating Has Returned With Consumption Of gluten-free Carbs...help!

arkoflove

arkoflove Apprentice

Things were going great for me, but since I have started including more carbs in my diet, I am struggling with the massive bloating and some tummy issues again. I am so frustrated.

I don't feel "glutened" with the fatigue and mental fog that I get with gluten, but I am severly bloated and constipated.

Could I possibly have an issue with corn? I have made bobs cornbread (gluten-free) and gluten-free oatmeal cookies- bad night (at first I thought it was the gluten-free oatmeal I was sensitive to). Then I made bobs gluten-free brownies and both nights I've eaten them my tummy's expanded to look 6mo pregnant.

I did get glutened over a week ago...could I just be struggling to get 'normal' again?

I had been eating mainly protien shakes and canned beans, along with chicken or beef for dinner, and cesar salad (I really love beans, lol) for the first 3 weeks off gluten and was doing great- flat tummy and lost nearly 10 lbs! Now since eating more carbs (all gluten-free) I am up 9-15lbs. What is the deal? I feel completely crazy. I told myself yesterday it was back to the previous diet, but those brownies called my name. Sigh. Could it be the cornmeal in all those mixes? Should I have an allergy test done?

Thank you all again,

Megan

gluten-free for 3 weeks

Positive Anti-Gliadin tests...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KathiSharpe Apprentice
Things were going great for me, but since I have started including more carbs in my diet, I am struggling with the massive bloating and some tummy issues again. I am so frustrated.

One of two things is possible -

1) Something you're eating now is cross-contaminated with gluten

or

2) You have _____ problems in addition to gluten problems

Given that your symptoms don't 100% match those of "being glutened" I would lean toward #2.

For example, if I eat millet or anything with a small amount of millet in it, I can't button my pants the next day - but it doesn't matter because I won't be able to go anywhere because it feels like I ate living glass and it's trying to cut and chew its way out of me!

To discover this I had to do a food diary and elimination diet. Since you were eating very, very plainly and doing fine I'd go back to that for a week, then add things back 1 at a time.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Corn constipates me, makes my life miserable, so I eliminated it from my diet. On the other hand, Bob's Red Mill does have CC issues quite often. I find, for me, if I stay away from all grains, I do much better. The beans may be a problem too. Elimination diet is what you will have to try, you have too many things at once that could be the problems.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Three weeks is was too soon for me to add in those things. I took the advice of my old-timers on this board and stuck to meats, fruits, and vegetables all prepared simply. I avoided dairy, fats and anything made of ANY type of flour. It was six months before I added those things back in. I'm back to avoiding them again because they are so calorie dense that I am gaining too much weight.

Give yourself more time to heal. Then you can have a clearer view of other issues you may have.

Also, learning the ways of gluten-free and clearing one's home takes a bit of practice. I agree that cross contamination could be an issue.

missy'smom Collaborator

It could very well be CC. The pregnant tummy is my first sign of being glutened and I am very sensitive so it doesn't take much. Your reaction is just like what I might get. I do get the fatigue etc. but I wouldn't rule out gluten just because you didn't seem to get that yet. Sometimes I won't get that unless I eat that CC'd product everyday for a few days in a row, then I'll realize that I have been fatigued and I'll also get emotional really easily. Even if I get it just once, I'll sometimes not realize until a few days later that I have been fatigued. Did you use an old baking pan? Does it have seams in it? your old handheld mixer? Baking powder, baking soda, even spices like cinnamon or other ingredients lefover from pre-gluten-free days could be cross-contaminated and need to be replaced with new ones.

arkoflove Apprentice
It could very well be CC. The pregnant tummy is my first sign of being glutened and I am very sensitive so it doesn't take much. Your reaction is just like what I might get. I do get the fatigue etc. but I wouldn't rule out gluten just because you didn't seem to get that yet. Sometimes I won't get that unless I eat that CC'd product everyday for a few days in a row, then I'll realize that I have been fatigued and I'll also get emotional really easily. Even if I get it just once, I'll sometimes not realize until a few days later that I have been fatigued. Did you use an old baking pan? Does it have seams in it? your old handheld mixer? Baking powder, baking soda, even spices like cinnamon or other ingredients lefover from pre-gluten-free days could be cross-contaminated and need to be replaced with new ones.

All the dishes I used were glass, and have been washed pretty well. I cleaned up the kitchen a bit ago, before I baked with the bob's mixes. I didn't use a mixer, but I am REALLY glad you mentioned that, because I definately need to get a new one and hadn't thought of that yet.

Is it common to notice CC issues with Bobs Red Mill products?

I guess I'm back on the simple diet for now. This is so daunting right now. I just feel so emotional about it all. I never dreamed I would have a food issue like this. I was doing great eating beans, protien shakes, meat, veggies, milk in my tea and coffee...so back to that scenario!

Should I go in for allergy testing?

Thank you for all the helpful advice and encouragement. :)

-Megan

ravenwoodglass Mentor
All the dishes I used were glass, and have been washed pretty well. I cleaned up the kitchen a bit ago, before I baked with the bob's mixes. I didn't use a mixer, but I am REALLY glad you mentioned that, because I definately need to get a new one and hadn't thought of that yet.

Is it common to notice CC issues with Bobs Red Mill products?

I guess I'm back on the simple diet for now. This is so daunting right now. I just feel so emotional about it all. I never dreamed I would have a food issue like this. I was doing great eating beans, protien shakes, meat, veggies, milk in my tea and coffee...so back to that scenario!

Should I go in for allergy testing?

Thank you for all the helpful advice and encouragement. :)

-Megan

I have also had issues with Bob's Red Mill products. Before you go through the daunting prospect of checking for other intoelrance you may want to try some other brands. Gluten Free Pantry makes some good bread mixes and a great chocolate cake mix. Pamela's is also good if you can tolerate dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

arkoflove Apprentice
I have also had issues with Bob's Red Mill products. Before you go through the daunting prospect of checking for other intoelrance you may want to try some other brands. Gluten Free Pantry makes some good bread mixes and a great chocolate cake mix. Pamela's is also good if you can tolerate dairy.

So should I be concerned about the individual Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flours I purchased? Or just their mixes. I haven't opened the flours yet, so I could return them. I did open an Arrowhead Mill gluten-free cornmeal, but all my Bobs are sealed. Did you have a strong reaction with Bobs?

CaraLouise Explorer

I take Miralax when I get constipated. I have to rotate my diet or else I start getting constipated with things I am usually fine with.

Archived