ksymonds84

Endoscopy/colonoscopy

Rate this topic

When I first thought I had a problem I went gluten free first then did the blood test which was negative. I didn't do an endoscopy because well to be honest I was a big chicken! I settled for the gluten intolerance based on dietary response diagnoses. As some may remember, I started doubting my diagnoses because I still wasn't completely better by last spring after being over a year gluten free. I tried gluten challenging May and June but had to stop in July because I couldn't handle the discomfort any longer. I forked out money for Enterolab which was positive for gluten intolerance and showed I carried both main celiac genes so feel that it was worth it. I still felt like something else could be wrong so I saw a GI who specializes in celiac and he convinced me to do the colonoscopy and endoscopy together. I was a nervous wreck but had it done yesterday. Let me tell you, other than the prep the day before, it was a piece of cake! I don't remember a thing about it! I don't even remember the Dr. coming into my room to discuss his findings! My husband had to tell me everything he said. My colonoscopy was clean as a whistle (I had a fear of polyps ect). My endoscopy showed patches of redness and inflammation that he did a biopsy but told my husband was celiac related but no real damage or suspicions of cancer etc. So I've been worrying over nothing and wish I would have just done the tests in the beginning. If I would have been alert I would have asked him if the inflammation could have been caused by the two month gluten challenge or if I am just slow healing since I discovered this in my 40's. I am gluten free over 1 1/2 years minus the two month challenge. If anyone has opinions on this please let me know. The only side effects that I am experiencing is that my throat seems tender but not painful. Also thought I would share for those that fear these procedures like I did.

For my endoscopy/colonoscopy the doctor noted inflammation in the stomach. He said that this can be caused by all of the laxatives taken to prep for the colonoscopy. My experience was similar to yours -- it was just about the easiest medical test I have ever had.

For my endoscopy/colonoscopy the doctor noted inflammation in the stomach. He said that this can be caused by all of the laxatives taken to prep for the colonoscopy. My experience was similar to yours -- it was just about the easiest medical test I have ever had.

yes, I too had infammation in my stomach as well as several patches in my upper intestine. I'm sure the laxatives did a number on my stomach. I don't see myself drinking orange gaterade any time in the near future ;)

Since you didn't mention the inflammation was in your stomach I will assume it was small intestine. Yes, it is from your challenge. That's exactly why the doc's want you to challenge before a procedure. Luckily you still showed damage for you test even though you stopped your challenge. That also shows you that you are a slow healer so it's no surprise it took you so long to feel better. You could still have other food sensitivities as you noted yourself but now you know the good news of what you don't have. Now you can refine your diet to feel great!

Since you didn't mention the inflammation was in your stomach I will assume it was small intestine. Yes, it is from your challenge. That's exactly why the doc's want you to challenge before a procedure. Luckily you still showed damage for you test even though you stopped your challenge. That also shows you that you are a slow healer so it's no surprise it took you so long to feel better. You could still have other food sensitivities as you noted yourself but now you know the good news of what you don't have. Now you can refine your diet to feel great!

Thank you for responding. I did have inflammation in my stomach but also in various patches in my upper small intestines. He showed my husband pics of where he took biopsies (he showed me as well but don't remember!). I think you are right and I am a slow healer! I wish I would have known about Celiac 20 years ago but feeling better everyday now.

As some may remember, I started doubting my diagnoses because I still wasn't completely better by last spring after being over a year gluten free.

Just something to keep in mind - if you're still not getting better with gluten-free alone, you might want to consider trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It's a bit more challenging, but it's also not necessarily for life - just until all the symptoms are gone for a while.

When I first thought I had a problem I went gluten free first then did the blood test which was negative. I didn't do an endoscopy because well to be honest I was a big chicken! I settled for the gluten intolerance based on dietary response diagnoses. As some may remember, I started doubting my diagnoses because I still wasn't completely better by last spring after being over a year gluten free. I tried gluten challenging May and June but had to stop in July because I couldn't handle the discomfort any longer. I forked out money for Enterolab which was positive for gluten intolerance and showed I carried both main celiac genes so feel that it was worth it. I still felt like something else could be wrong so I saw a GI who specializes in celiac and he convinced me to do the colonoscopy and endoscopy together. I was a nervous wreck but had it done yesterday. Let me tell you, other than the prep the day before, it was a piece of cake! I don't remember a thing about it! I don't even remember the Dr. coming into my room to discuss his findings! My husband had to tell me everything he said. My colonoscopy was clean as a whistle (I had a fear of polyps ect). My endoscopy showed patches of redness and inflammation that he did a biopsy but told my husband was celiac related but no real damage or suspicions of cancer etc. So I've been worrying over nothing and wish I would have just done the tests in the beginning. If I would have been alert I would have asked him if the inflammation could have been caused by the two month gluten challenge or if I am just slow healing since I discovered this in my 40's. I am gluten free over 1 1/2 years minus the two month challenge. If anyone has opinions on this please let me know. The only side effects that I am experiencing is that my throat seems tender but not painful. Also thought I would share for those that fear these procedures like I did.

Thanks for the post. I fear the endoscopy procedure less than the preparation needed for it - gluten-inclusion diet. To cut through the myriad unknowns of what to eat I am seeking a diagnosis. The symptoms are wreaking havoc and a medical diagnosis will hopefully ease worries. Seems like an eternity away from today but. There you go.