jello5

gluten-free/cf Wedding Guest

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I am new to the gluten-free/CF lifestyle...since Aug 5 of this year. I am feeling really good. However, I will be attending a wedding next month and am not quite sure how to handle it. The reception is at a large banquet facility so Im sure everyone will be having the same dinner. Do I just eat before I go? Calling the bride is not an option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have called the hall directly. It has never been an issue. The host is not charged for any type of "special" meal. They do not have any additional concerns or stress for their special day. Do this in advance (when the invitation has arrived and before you RSVP) Call again the day of the event to remind the staff and get your contact name for your serving staff. As soon as you get to the event, make a visit to your contact person and identify yourself for the servers. (This is another way to remind the kitchen so your meal can be at the same time as the rest of the guests.)

If the staff seems ignorant of the diet, I would not eat anything at the event.

Have a great time!

If the staff seems ignorant of the diet, I would not eat anything at the event.

I totally agree. If you don't get satisfactory answers when you call the facility, don't eat there. If they seem knowledgeable but aren't sure they CAN accommodate you, you might ask them about whether they could prepare a salad for you or something. If they don't know what you're talking about, I wouldn't even trust them to prepare a salad without contaminating it.

You can eat before you go, and maybe stick a little trail mix or something discreet in your purse in case you are just starving.

Power bars work to keep in your bag to nibble on too. If you ask the caterer for a fruit plate or large salad dressing on the side will keep everyone happy.

Have a great time1

I just wrote the below email to a catering company for a friend's wedding:

"Hello,

I will be a guest at the *last names* wedding on October 10th, 2009. I have Celiac Disease and am hoping you will be able to accommodate a gluten-free meal that I can eat safely with the other guests. I don't want to stress out the bride & groom with additional details or cost the bride & groom anything extra for my meal and am hoping you are able to help me. Is your staff familiar with severe food allergies/dietary restrictions and able to provide a meal free of gluten and safe from cross-contamination?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jillian *last name*"

I just wrote the below email to a catering company for a friend's wedding:

"Hello,

I will be a guest at the *last names* wedding on October 10th, 2009. I have Celiac Disease and am hoping you will be able to accommodate a gluten-free meal that I can eat safely with the other guests. I don't want to stress out the bride & groom with additional details or cost the bride & groom anything extra for my meal and am hoping you are able to help me. Is your staff familiar with severe food allergies/dietary restrictions and able to provide a meal free of gluten and safe from cross-contamination?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jillian *last name*"

The letter is perfect. Thank you-I will give it a try. And Thank you to all for your replies and ideas.