This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Too Many Potatoes!

Juliebove

RDR Apprentice

Portuguese Boiled Dinner

1 Whole Daisy Ham (about 1-lb) (also referred to as pork shoulder butt)

6 Large Potatoes (sliced in half)

1 head of cabbage

Water to cover

Put water in large pot.

Bring to a boil at Medium to Medium-low heat.

Add ingredients.

Boil for exactly 1 hour.

------------------------------

Open Original Shared Link

Just use the scooped out insides for mashed potatoes.

JoJo Potato Wedges

5 Potatoes - each cut into 4 quarters

2/3 C gluten-free Flour (all-purpose)

2/3 C Grated Parmesan Cheese (or equivalent cheese substitute)

Salt (to taste)

Ground Black Pepper (to taste)

1 tsp Paprika

2/3 C Butter (or Butter Substitute)

Mix all ingredients.

Place in a casserole dish in single layer.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hr (turning 2-3 times during cooking).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
Is it because of soybean oil or eggs? Our local health food store sells veganaise which is mayo with no eggs, it also uses canola oil so there's no soy either

Yes. Can't have soy or eggs. I'm pretty sure veganaise has soy in it. I will look it up.

Yep.

Soy protein.

We do occasionally have stuff with soybean oil in it. I don't really want to but it's the most common oil in restaurants. But for sure no soy protein. Messes with my thyroid.

I have tried alternate recipes for mayo but they just aren't good.

Juliebove Rising Star
Portuguese Boiled Dinner

1 Whole Daisy Ham (about 1-lb) (also referred to as pork shoulder butt)

6 Large Potatoes (sliced in half)

1 head of cabbage

Water to cover

Put water in large pot.

Bring to a boil at Medium to Medium-low heat.

Add ingredients.

Boil for exactly 1 hour.

Just use the scooped out insides for mashed potatoes.

JoJo Potato Wedges

5 Potatoes - each cut into 4 quarters

2/3 C gluten-free Flour (all-purpose)

2/3 C Grated Parmesan Cheese (or equivalent cheese substitute)

Salt (to taste)

Ground Black Pepper (to taste)

1 tsp Paprika

2/3 C Butter (or Butter Substitute)

Mix all ingredients.

Place in a casserole dish in single layer.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hr (turning 2-3 times during cooking).

Thanks.

RDR Apprentice
Thanks.

You're very welcome :D. I forgot 3 other recipes that I honestly shouldn't have because I eat them a lot :D.

------------------------

Best hash brown pattie recipe I've found yet. Tastes alot like the McDonald's breakfast ones I used to love :D.

------------------------

Sausage Hash

6oz of ground sausage meat

oil for frying

salt, pepper and onion powder to taste

1 cup mashed potatoes

Brown the sausage meat in a skillet on medium heat.

Add spices.

Add mashed potatoes.

Fry 2-3 more minutes to make sure the sausage is fully cooked.

------------------------

Potato Fritters/Croquettes

4 C Mashed Potatoes

1 egg (or substitute)

1 C Seasoned Breadcrumbs (with spices of your choice- I use Italian spices-Parsley, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, ground red pepper)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 C Parmesan or Romano Cheese (Optional)

Oil for frying

Chill mashed potatoes in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before getting started.

Add a beaten egg to the potatoes and work them by hand to mix thoroughly.

Add Breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cheese (if you use it) to mashed potato mixture and continue to work by hand.

Form into balls about 1 and 1/2" in diameter.

Heat oil (1/2" to 3/4" in the pan) on medium-high heat.

Fry until they start to form a crisp coat (usually 3-4 minutes).

Drain on Paper towels.

------------------------

Another option (I'm still trying to find a good recipe for unfortunately) is to use mashed potatoes as the base for chicken croquettes, which coincidentally usually get served with mashed potatoes and gravy so you get twice the potatoes used :D.

ranger Enthusiast
I hauled out the old crock pot and tomorro, I'm going to put chicken thighs in the bottom and slather them with pesto. Then, I'm going to slice some baking potatoes not quite all the way through in about 1/2 inch intervals and stuff each slash with thinly sliced garlic and place them on the chk, and cook for 8 hours. Will let you know if it works.

I underestimated my ablity to cut up raw chicken at 7 am. Through it back in the fridge and baked it later in the day. Turned out good.

Juliebove Rising Star
You're very welcome :D. I forgot 3 other recipes that I honestly shouldn't have because I eat them a lot :D.

------------------------

Best hash brown pattie recipe I've found yet. Tastes alot like the McDonald's breakfast ones I used to love :D.

------------------------

Sausage Hash

6oz of ground sausage meat

oil for frying

salt, pepper and onion powder to taste

1 cup mashed potatoes

Brown the sausage meat in a skillet on medium heat.

Add spices.

Add mashed potatoes.

Fry 2-3 more minutes to make sure the sausage is fully cooked.

------------------------

Potato Fritters/Croquettes

4 C Mashed Potatoes

1 egg (or substitute)

1 C Seasoned Breadcrumbs (with spices of your choice- I use Italian spices-Parsley, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, ground red pepper)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 C Parmesan or Romano Cheese (Optional)

Oil for frying

Chill mashed potatoes in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before getting started.

Add a beaten egg to the potatoes and work them by hand to mix thoroughly.

Add Breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cheese (if you use it) to mashed potato mixture and continue to work by hand.

Form into balls about 1 and 1/2" in diameter.

Heat oil (1/2" to 3/4" in the pan) on medium-high heat.

Fry until they start to form a crisp coat (usually 3-4 minutes).

Drain on Paper towels.

------------------------

Another option (I'm still trying to find a good recipe for unfortunately) is to use mashed potatoes as the base for chicken croquettes, which coincidentally usually get served with mashed potatoes and gravy so you get twice the potatoes used :D.

Thanks!

Wenmin Enthusiast

You could make smothered potatoes.

Start with about 2-3 onions, dice and sautee in large pot with a little oil (about 1/8 cup). Dice 8-10 potatoes to about 1/2 inch thick. Once onions are tender add potatoes and cover. Stir often becasue it wants to stick. Cook until potatoes are tender and a little browning from the sticking is present.(about 50-60 minutes) Season to taste. AWESOME side dish.

Make a larger pot and use leftovers for the next day to make potato stew. Slice sausage into bite size pieces. Cook sausage in pot. Drain grease. Add leftover potatoes and add water cook for about 30-40 minutes and serve over rice. Great meal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ranger Enthusiast

Leftover mashed potatoes work well in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf, meatballs, salmon patties, ect. I once made a "salmon strudle" which consisted of a large salmon filet topped with a duxelle, and salmon mousse, wrapped in puffed pastry, and then baked. The mousse turned out runny, so I added ms pot to it. They thickened it up and actually made the mousse taste better.

Also, I make "crab cakes".. To 2 cups ms pot, add a can of crab meat, some fresh chives, an egg, and some Old Bay. Shape into patties and fry. A liitle hot sauce is good, too. Half my garden is devoted to potatoes..Could not live without them.

nasalady Contributor

We're becoming addicted to a Dutch version of Shepherd's Pie that uses fish:

It's easy to make it gluten free by subbing sweet rice flour for the regular stuff.

Anyway, this recipe is FABULOUS! It's serious comfort food, and it will help you use up your potatoes!

Juliebove Rising Star
You could make smothered potatoes.

Start with about 2-3 onions, dice and sautee in large pot with a little oil (about 1/8 cup). Dice 8-10 potatoes to about 1/2 inch thick. Once onions are tender add potatoes and cover. Stir often becasue it wants to stick. Cook until potatoes are tender and a little browning from the sticking is present.(about 50-60 minutes) Season to taste. AWESOME side dish.

Make a larger pot and use leftovers for the next day to make potato stew. Slice sausage into bite size pieces. Cook sausage in pot. Drain grease. Add leftover potatoes and add water cook for about 30-40 minutes and serve over rice. Great meal.

Potatoes and onions! Two of my favorite foods!

And your cat looks a lot like mine!

Juliebove Rising Star
Leftover mashed potatoes work well in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf, meatballs, salmon patties, ect. I once made a "salmon strudle" which consisted of a large salmon filet topped with a duxelle, and salmon mousse, wrapped in puffed pastry, and then baked. The mousse turned out runny, so I added ms pot to it. They thickened it up and actually made the mousse taste better.

Also, I make "crab cakes".. To 2 cups ms pot, add a can of crab meat, some fresh chives, an egg, and some Old Bay. Shape into patties and fry. A liitle hot sauce is good, too. Half my garden is devoted to potatoes..Could not live without them.

Huh. Never would have thought mashed potatoes would work in there. I have used potato flakes to add to soup and biscuits. Not sure about gluten-free biscuits but makes regular biscuits really tender.

Juliebove Rising Star

It's easy to make it gluten free by subbing sweet rice flour for the regular stuff.

Anyway, this recipe is FABULOUS! It's serious comfort food, and it will help you use up your potatoes!

Too much else we're allergic to in there, but thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star

Too much else we're allergic to, but thanks!

nasalady Contributor
Too much else we're allergic to, but thanks!

OK....FYI, we also sub rice milk for regular, etc., because of our own allergies. It does work even with lots of substitutions.

Juliebove Rising Star
OK....FYI, we also sub rice milk for regular, etc., because of our own allergies. It does work even with lots of substitutions.

Hmmm... I have tried rice milk in potatoes, but didn't much care for it. I do put it in stuffed baked potatoes. But recently I have been doing potatoes for faux pierogies and find that they are really good with just Nucoa mixed in.

Do you think it would work with green beans? Daughter can't have peas.

nasalady Contributor
Hmmm... I have tried rice milk in potatoes, but didn't much care for it. I do put it in stuffed baked potatoes. But recently I have been doing potatoes for faux pierogies and find that they are really good with just Nucoa mixed in.

Do you think it would work with green beans? Daughter can't have peas.

My guess is that it would work with any number of different veggies....peas and carrots were just the "traditional" veggie mix I guess. I've been thinking about adding mushrooms to it because I love mushrooms! :)

The spices and seasonings used are interesting; she uses nutmeg (in the potatoes) and cloves and bay leaf in the white sauce....green beans do have a different flavor than peas but I really think they would work.

ranger Enthusiast

A friend just dropped off a box of potatoes for me. There must be 20 lbs. of potatoes in there! For just DH and me......I'll be using this topic. A lot!

Juliebove Rising Star
My guess is that it would work with any number of different veggies....peas and carrots were just the "traditional" veggie mix I guess. I've been thinking about adding mushrooms to it because I love mushrooms! :)

The spices and seasonings used are interesting; she uses nutmeg (in the potatoes) and cloves and bay leaf in the white sauce....green beans do have a different flavor than peas but I really think they would work.

Okay. Thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star
A friend just dropped off a box of potatoes for me. There must be 20 lbs. of potatoes in there! For just DH and me......I'll be using this topic. A lot!

Wow! You have more than me!

Wenmin Enthusiast

Hey!

Just remembered this topic because I fixed this for breakfast. Make the smothered potatoes and the next day, heat a small portion (1/2 cup per person) in a skillet sprayed with Pam. While potatoes are heating, scramble 1-2 eggs and salt and pepper to your liking (You could use egg substitute in place of eggs). Once potatoes are heated, add egg and cook until eggs are done. Serve with a side of Gluten-Free bread (toasted and litely buttered). MMMmmmmmmmm

Archived