jmwong982

Bad Expereince At "shane's Rib Shack" In Raliegh, Nc

Rate this topic

My finance (the one with celiac disease) and I were on vacation in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was our second day there, We went to Shane's Rib Shack in Raleigh, North Carolina. We got there at opening time and a huge crowd of people were able to order before us. So the kitchen got busy very quickly. I told the cashier taking our order that we were ordering from the gluten free menu. When I proceeded to order the barbecue chicken she asked me if I wanted a roll for my food. I decide not to get anxious at this point and give her the benefit of the doubt. I asked if the buns were gluten free. She asked the cook. The cook said no. This was my previous assumption, but my fiance and I continued to order. I peeked into the kitchen (it was kind of open so you could see in) and saw bread flying around the kitchen. It didn't seem like there was any time for them to think about changing gloves. We ate our food (no buns of course) and later my fiance got sick. There is no way to know for sure what caused his sickness, but he was feeling fine before we ate there. Usually, when he gets "glutened" he feels it an hour or so after eating. We think cross contamination could be an issue there. The staff did not seem knowledgeable.

I've gotten glutened at a restaurant twice now. CC is a big issue. but also somtimes in order for your meal to be gluten free you need to specify something be changed. for instance, order your salad mixed in a separate bowl awithout croutons. or like carraba's you can have grilled chicken without the grill baste. the first time i ate at carraba's it was perfect. i ordered off the gluten free menu and felt fine all night. the second time i got glutened. i ordered exactly the same but the restaurant was considerably busier the second time. i think the cookstaff gets in a rush and starts forgetting things (or maybe just brushing things off as unimportant- i dont know ive never worked in a kitchen). always make sure you confirm with the waistaff about your needs. dont be afrai to talk to the cook or perhaps a manager. it is also always in your favor to go at a time when the kitchen isnt busy. not always easy to do, but it is doable. hope your next eating out experience is more positive