Rate this topic

I have been gluten free 8 mos., and feeling really great. I thought I was digesting Dairy fine again, but now I have had the worst heartburn for the last week. I also was drinking Coke everyday for about 2 mos. I quit...I know. Im not sure if I gave myself gastritis or what. I have belching, burning and pain all the way up my throat. :( Should I try a course of prilosec and see if that works? All I can eat (again) is white rice. Tagamet and slippery elm are not working. Pepto does but it constipates me. My bms are normal. What do you guys think? Help... thanks!

I have been gluten free 8 mos., and feeling really great. I thought I was digesting Dairy fine again, but now I have had the worst heartburn for the last week. I also was drinking Coke everyday for about 2 mos. I quit...I know. Im not sure if I gave myself gastritis or what. I have belching, burning and pain all the way up my throat. :( Should I try a course of prilosec and see if that works? All I can eat (again) is white rice. Tagamet and slippery elm are not working. Pepto does but it constipates me. My bms are normal. What do you guys think? Help... thanks!

If you have dairy intolerance or allergy, it may continue to cause reflux. People don't get reflux because they have too much stomach acid, despite those ads for acid blockers. Do doctors ever MEASURE stomach acid before prescribing acid blockers? Reflux occurs when the lower esophageal valve opens unexpectedly. Several foods can irritate the LES and cause it to open. Those foods/beverages include caffeinated beverages, alcohol, peppermint teas and mints, tomato based foods, citrus fruits, onions and any food allergies or sensitivities. Rather than taking acid blockers which don't resolve the problem, consider what you ate before you experienced heart burn.

Many older people naturally produce less stomach acid. Too little stomach acid, rather than too much, will not produce the biochemical signal which keeps the LES closed, except when swallowing food. So abstaining from foods which cause heartburn, rather than inhibiting production of stomach acid, which we need to kill food born bacteria, as well as digest food, will resolve the heartburn problem, without causing more digestive problems.

If you already have heartburn, you can get quick relief by drinking enough cool (not iced) water to dilute the acid and wash it back into the stomach. You might also want to read "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Jonathon Wright, MD, for more information about natural heartburn cures.

SUE

I agree with the PP. I only now get reflux and heartburn when I've eaten something I shouldn't. That's one of the problems I get when eating any grains. I really feel much better when I don't eat any.

I agree with what's been offered. My reflux pretty much went away when I stopped eating legumes.

A simple food log might be helpful to you for figuring out what the culprit is. :)

Thanks for the advice. I think I may have been glutened!! Now the pain has turned to painful Gas and D. Im having my classic twitching and muscle pain/fatigue, insomnia, too. I think it was generic cola or some chicken I ate at a wedding. <_< Any advice for dealing?? Just taking pepto and slippery elm. Thanks