This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tried Oats For The First Time...ouch!

leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88 Contributor

So I was grocery shopping at Sobey's a few days ago and passed through their gluten free section...

I was so excited to see oatmeal there - Glutenfreeda's Maple Raisin with Flax oatmeal. This was the first time I've tried oats since going gluten-free a year ago.

I've had it every morning for the past couple days for breakfast...and I've been noticing that I get an intense headache about an hour later every time. Not sure if its coincidence..

It says its made in a dedicated facility and with pure uncontaminated oats. Is it possible for this to be a reaction then??

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I'm afraid so. Some of us don't tolerate oats either, no matter how pure they are.

Bea

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Hi Kim :)

Which Sobey's was it?? I go to Unicity (close to home) and they have a lot of gluten-free options but not a dedicated section! I haven't been brave enough to try oats since going gluten-free sorry you didn't take to them well.

Speaking of local gluten-free options, have you tried the EnviroKidz organic cereals? I love the peanut butter panda puffs as a treat once in a while and bought some from Lorenzo's. Every time I eat them I get a bit of an upset stomach and feel tired.

Has anyone who has eaten these had a similar reaction? I just got results that I'm not lactose intolerant and I have milk on my creamy rice breakfast cereal with no problems, so I know it's not the dairy.

Thanks,

Jillian

So I was grocery shopping at Sobey's a few days ago and passed through their gluten free section...

I was so excited to see oatmeal there - Glutenfreeda's Maple Raisin with Flax oatmeal. This was the first time I've tried oats since going gluten-free a year ago.

I've had it every morning for the past couple days for breakfast...and I've been noticing that I get an intense headache about an hour later every time. Not sure if its coincidence..

It says its made in a dedicated facility and with pure uncontaminated oats. Is it possible for this to be a reaction then??

Thanks in advance!

Hi Kim :)

Which Sobey's was it?? I go to Unicity (close to home) and they have a lot of gluten-free options but not a dedicated section! I haven't been brave enough to try oats since going gluten-free sorry you didn't take to them well.

Speaking of local gluten-free options, have you tried the EnviroKidz organic cereals? I love the peanut butter panda puffs as a treat once in a while and bought some from Lorenzo's. Every time I eat them I get a bit of an upset stomach and feel tired.

Has anyone who has eaten these had a similar reaction? I just got results that I'm not lactose intolerant and I have milk on my creamy rice breakfast cereal with no problems, so I know it's not the dairy.

Thanks,

Jillian

Hey Jillian!

This particular Sobeys was the one on Taylor Ave., though the one on Dakota also has a gluten-free section. That's too bad that yours doesn't! It's very convenient, may be worth the trip.

I absolutely love the Gorilla Munch by Envirokidz :) People at work make fun of me all the time for eating "5-year olds cereal" lol!

I've had the Panda Puffs before as well and have never had a reaction, hmm... I looked at the ingredients online and there's corn in it..have you noticed a similar reaction when you eat anything else with corn in it?

I'm afraid so. Some of us don't tolerate oats either, no matter how pure they are.

Bea

Thanks Bea, I think I'll stop eating it from now on!

tarnalberry Community Regular

approximately 10% of celiacs have an immune response to avenin, the oat protein, because it is structurally very similar (but not identical) to gliadin.

sixtytwo Apprentice

I am gluten intolerant and tried regular oats a few weeks ago, twice, and became pretty sick. I think I may be one of those that just cannot do oats, period. I get neurological problems when I get glutened. Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahp57 Contributor

have you tried any other brand of oats? i get bob's red mill whole grain rolled oats (gluten free labeled of course).

also how long have you been gluten free? i was pretty sick before i got diagnosed and the first time i tried oats i got sick. i waited a couple years until i was feeling 100% and tried them again. now i can eat them whenever i want :) so you could be intolerant, or if you were sick before you went gluten free, you may not be healed enough to tolerate them just yet...

nasalady Contributor

I just tried certified gluten-free oats for the first time since I went gluten free (Nov 2008). The following day I had severe D all day....clearly I can't eat oats, at least not yet.

I may try again after I've been gluten free for a year or so.

JoAnn

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter's GI recommended waiting until all of her symptoms resolved (OK, she only had one but it took a while to go away completely) before trying oats. Then try a safe (gluten-free) brand and only a small amount and wait awhile before trying it again. You may have done too much in a too short of a period of time. Have all your previous symptoms resolved? Did you get the headache on the first day you tried the oats??? I'd put them away for awhile and then try a small amount one more time . . . and probably make sure that you had other food with it, but that's me . . . and that also depends on if you are willing to put up with that type of reaction one more time if it doesn't work out.

WideAwake Rookie

This is interesting. I am self diagnosed and have felt a lot better off gluten for the past month and a bit. Normally I never have headaches, but I have been having oatmeal every morning the last 3 days to see how it goes, and each day I have had lingering dull headaches most of the day, which only started when I ate the bowl of oatmeal...

Can you have brand new symptoms even after a short time off gluten?

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I had bob's redmill gluten-free oats. 2 times. same reaction both times- cramping- watery yellow D ALL DAY!(sorry for the graphic)

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator
This is interesting. I am self diagnosed and have felt a lot better off gluten for the past month and a bit. Normally I never have headaches, but I have been having oatmeal every morning the last 3 days to see how it goes, and each day I have had lingering dull headaches most of the day, which only started when I ate the bowl of oatmeal...

Can you have brand new symptoms even after a short time off gluten?

this happened to me after going gluten-free...it went away after a few months though

YoloGx Rookie

Interestingly before I originally suspected I might have celiac I had made a practice of eating a bowl of oatmeal before going to bed at night to help me sleep better. Which it did--however after 6 months of this my migraines got worse and more frequent, plus eventually I started shaking. My nerves were out of whack! A naturopath/chiropractor suggested it might be leaky gut syndrome; however I looked it up in the Merck manual and recognized my symptoms as being more like celiac. I then went off gluten even more than I had before when I just thought I had an allergy to the wheat family; so I stopped eating oatmeal and improved greatly--though it wasn't til years later that I found I needed to go off all trace gluten too (or even considered what trace gluten was...).

WideAwake Rookie
Interestingly before I originally suspected I might have celiac I had made a practice of eating a bowl of oatmeal before going to bed at night to help me sleep better. Which it did.

Oh wow! That is just what I would do! It kept me full overnight and helped me sleep for sure. It was also cheap in calories LOL

Archived