DeerGirl

What To Bring? How To Discuss?

Rate this topic

This is the first time I'm dealing with this. Could use any helpful hints!

I am going to a resort in a few weeks for a group event (kind of like craft camp for grown ups). :-) The resort is not officially the host, so I called the organizer today. I explained that I needed to speak to someone, probably a catering manager about the food b/c I have celiac disease and must avoid specific foods. They were confused (which I understand) about why I couldn't just *look* at the food and see if I could avoid it. <_< I gave them a very brief explanation, and said the menu doesn't need to change I just need to know in advance if I can eat it. At any rate, they said to call back in a week when the menu is set and then she'll tell me who to call.

Anyone BTDT, am I better off just randomly calling the resort and finding the catering manager?

So in the meantime, what snacks, foods I can make in a hotel room, should I plan on bringing with me? We will be in the resort, relying on their foods for the entire length of the stay, so unlike a vacation where you stay in a hotel and spend all day out and about, I have to bring it with me or eat what's there at the resort.

Thanks!!

I would definitely bring some food with you. You can ask them to put a mini-fridge and microwave in your room. There might be a small fee for that, though.

I would definitely bring some food with you. You can ask them to put a mini-fridge and microwave in your room. There might be a small fee for that, though.

That never occurred to me, to request a microwave or fridge. Thanks I'll look into it.

What foods would you recommend? Crackers and energy bars, yes, but I figure I'll want more than that?

this may be way more than you want to do, but my dh and I have done this in the past when at motels just for a relaxing vacation by ourselves. We take a small, foldable, portable grill. I chop and marinate in baggies things like stir fry's, steak, fajita meats, etc. and place in a cooler. You would only need to keep everything iced down. We would take the grill out in a common area or balcony (with the motels permission) and grill our own suppers. We made many friends smelling our food and wishing they had thought of doing something like that, lol! We often vacation in an area that doesn't have alot of choices for menus---bar and grill foods, which is risky at best most times. So this works very well for us.

I'd also bring cereal, applesauce, if you can eat dried fruit maybe a bag of that, crackers, etc. And see if it's possible to get fruit like bananas or something that hasn't been cut since you don't know how clean the knife or cutting board was. Maybe even individual cans/cups of fruit as well. Better to bring too much than too little ;)

If you explain that you have celiac disease most places are willing to put a fridge & micro in the room for you. I done this many times & they never charged extra. I always carry a ice cooler with food to heat up. I have also taken a toaster oven in the room ...toaster too. If they have a breakfast buffet you can usually get fruit, yougurt & I use a toaster bag & carry my bread & bag down to the dining area for breakfast. I have made ahead pancakes, waffles, eng.muffins & heated them in the toaster bag....Crackers & progresso gluten-free soups. salads, deli meats/cheese & gluten-free crackers. Vegies & dip. cookies protein bars, popcorn,tortilla chips& hummus, fruit,, applesauce, pudding.

GoPicnic has gluten-free lunchables that are great for traveling......jerky & gluten-free beef stick are also good choices. hth

mamaw

I even bring a microwave with me to make things like Thai Kitchen noodles. I always feel like I'm smuggling in contraband when I'm carrying in the microwave!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think I will try make-ahead foods, and pack some soups, as you have suggested, and ask about a fridge/microwave. I would so much like to be able to just eat with everyone else, since it is a group thing (we'll be taking classes together, et cetera), so I am hoping the catering manager confirms that they will be having some simple, safe foods.

The grill idea sounds great, (and delicious) but it is a bit complicated for me -- I don't own a grill (we live in a small NYC apartment), but it is a great idea for future reference.