This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Glutening Or Dairy Cause Anyones Gastritis To Flare?

Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith Explorer

I think I was glutened about 2 weeks ago. The symptoms started about 3 days later. I have the symptoms of a gastritis. Heartburn, pain, gas, reflux. I started eating Dairy also avout a month prior. I probably over did it considering I was so excited about thinking I could handle dairy once again. Do u think the dairy is causing this horrible reaction? Any suggestions? Im taking prilosec for 5 days and my tummy still hurts after eating any thing except plain rice, chicken or veggies! How long until it lets me rest?! Ahhh Im so frusterated. I have not had stomach pain since going Gluten-Free! Some advice/similar experiences...PLEASE!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jana315 Apprentice

If I do everything right, Gastritis is a thing of the past, but I don't have diary issues. Try cutting out the diary for several days - maybe a week and see if the issues resolve. If they do, try 1 diary item per day and see how you feel. If you've been glutened 2 weeks ago, it should be gone by now unless you've got something else causing issues.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Both can do a number on me but eating dairy again would be a definate for those symptoms. The PP was right. Stop it for awhile then challenge to see where you stand.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I have similar stomach issues - it's not a gastritis but dyspepsia...though the symptoms are similar. I believe that with a gastritis there is actual inflammation of the stomach lining, and it usually is caused by infection.

When I eat gluten I get wicked stomach cramps, as well as other symptoms - the severity depends on the amount I have eaten. I get reflux and a burning pain in my stomach and cramps in my abdomen, esp. on the right side but pretty much all over. If I don't treat the reflux, I get a sore throat. IF I EAT DAIRY - I get a lot of stomach burning. If I have been very careful and have successfully avoided gluten and other reflux irritants (eg. tomato sauce, heavy fatty food, etc. ) I can get away with more dairy. Pretty much any dairy around a glutening messes me up ! Fluid milk is probably the worst - I pretty much avoid dairy anyway, having a bit of hard cheese and that's about it...it's just easier that way !

I've tried Zantac, Nexium, and others - these days I just rely on Rolaids as needed and avoid "bad" foods. Some of those meds gave me bad reactions (like wicked stomach cramps, worse than a glutening) over time.

FWIW...

What are the signs of dyspepsia?

Here are some of the signs of dyspepsia:

lizard00 Enthusiast

Yes!! When I get glutened, I am left with extreme stomach discomfort for somewhere around a week to 10 days. It gets less and less everyday, but I am there with you on the bland chicken and rice. That's what I live off of for a couple of days.

I have been back and forth with dairy since going gluten-free... I seem to be tolerating a lot more diary products, but when I get glutened, I cut it out for a couple of weeks.

It sounds strange, but for that week after a glutening, I drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (the real stuff) with some water with my meals, or sometimes in between, and that seems to calm things down.

Mrs. Smith Explorer
I have similar stomach issues - it's not a gastritis but dyspepsia...though the symptoms are similar. I believe that with a gastritis there is actual inflammation of the stomach lining, and it usually is caused by infection.

When I eat gluten I get wicked stomach cramps, as well as other symptoms - the severity depends on the amount I have eaten. I get reflux and a burning pain in my stomach and cramps in my abdomen, esp. on the right side but pretty much all over. If I don't treat the reflux, I get a sore throat. IF I EAT DAIRY - I get a lot of stomach burning. If I have been very careful and have successfully avoided gluten and other reflux irritants (eg. tomato sauce, heavy fatty food, etc. ) I can get away with more dairy. Pretty much any dairy around a glutening messes me up ! Fluid milk is probably the worst - I pretty much avoid dairy anyway, having a bit of hard cheese and that's about it...it's just easier that way !

I've tried Zantac, Nexium, and others - these days I just rely on Rolaids as needed and avoid "bad" foods. Some of those meds gave me bad reactions (like wicked stomach cramps, worse than a glutening) over time.

FWIW...

What are the signs of dyspepsia?

Here are some of the signs of dyspepsia:

Archived