This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Betty Crocker Cookie Mix

Lexi

Lexi Enthusiast

As a kind gesture, someone gave me a box of the new Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix. However, I cannot have soy or egg (which the recipe calls for). What could I use to substitue for the egg (possibly applesauce)? Also, the chocolate chips have soy in them. If I pick all the chips out - would I still get the effects from the soy?? It seems like a lot of dang work, but would be worth it to have a warm cookie out of the oven.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

You can use egg substitute like Ener-G. Works fine with it. But picking out the chocolate chips won't get rid of the soy if you are truly allergic. It will have gotten all over the dry ingredients.

GRUMP 1 Contributor

I think it is GREAT that they are making these. But I am not really a chocolate person. Now don't get me wrong I did get some and had them and they were very good. But I wish they would make the mix with out the chocolate chips then you could put in what ever kind of chips you want. Like butterscotch, :rolleyes::) Oh well cant have every thing I guess.

Grump

Heidi S. Rookie
I think it is GREAT that they are making these. But I am not really a chocolate person. Now don't get me wrong I did get some and had them and they were very good. But I wish they would make the mix with out the chocolate chips then you could put in what ever kind of chips you want. Like butterscotch, :rolleyes::) Oh well cant have every thing I guess.

Grump

I have to agree. I wish the chips were not mixed in so there was a choice. I love the gluten free pantry muffin/scone mix. It come plain so you can add anything you dream off. The mix is awesome and they are carrying it in my local grocery stores and walmart, for $2-4. Try it if you haven't the possibilities are endless.

About the eggs here are some options, in baking cookies I normally switch them for bananas or baking powder, Open Original Shared Link. Picking out would not be ok with me, I wouldn't chance it, I do know that grocery stores like Publix, let you return items, unopened, all the time if they do not agree with me or contain gluten that I didn't realize, you might be able to switch it for CherryBrook Kitchen's cookie mix that is soy free, egg free, and gluten free as well!

Ginsou Explorer

I also cannot use the BC cookie mix because of additonal allergies. I recently made chocolate chip cookies using Namaste cookie mix, added Enjoy Life chips (allergen free) and they came out spectacular. I used canola oil for the shortening. I might add, the first time I used Namaste cookie mix, the cookies were a disaster. I'm glad I gave the product a second chance. They stayed moist day after day. This will be my preferred "in a hurry" mix from now on.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I made them with egg replacer and they turned out great. . . .the brownies did not. I made cupcakes last night with the cake mix and they were yummie.

Juliebove Rising Star
I made them with egg replacer and they turned out great. . . .the brownies did not. I made cupcakes last night with the cake mix and they were yummie.

I've made the brownies many times with egg replacer. They did not come out so well with margarine but they did with coconut oil. Even people who don't need to eat gluten-free liked them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived