wahmmy

Just Got Glutened By Birthday Present

Rate this topic

I just got accidentally glutened about an hour ago and am praying I don't have a bad reaction. I've been gluten-free since Jan. and have been accidentally glutened twice since then and felt terrible for about two days. This was from a present, of all things! :(

A friend sent me a case of Nana's cookies for my birthday, knowing Nana's makes gluten-free products, and the only Nana's products in our health food store are gluten-free so I just assumed that all the Nana's products were. I ate about 1/4 of the cookie before I turned the wrapper to casually look over the ingredients (I love to bake so love to see what things are made of) and the first ingredient is whole wheat flour!

I know we are supposed to always read the labels of everything and I always do, except today. I really think that companies that are known for gluten-free products (not talking about General Mills, etc. but the ones that cater to people w/food sensitivies) need to put bold "CONTAINS WHEAT" or something along those lines on products that aren't gluten-free.

Now I'm just waiting in anticipation, praying the reaction won't come. I chewed up 10 acidophilus immediately and drank a glass of water. Drinking another now. Just had to tell someone who would understand, thanks for reading!

So sorry! I hope the anticipation is worse than the real reaction.

awww, I'm so sorry! Things like that always make me feel like a total boob. Hoping for the best for you! BTW---HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Can I ask if anyone else has had an experience like this and been tempted to go throw up and try and get it out of your system? I haven't yet, as I've only been glutened by trace stuff and I always take two days to react, so I wouldn't be able to do this, but wondered if anyone had.