UnhappyCoeliac

Bleeding From The Behind ?

Rate this topic

hehe

I have been off my diet for 4-5 months noticed some blood tonight. Have been badly constipated, waking up with diarrhea and massive stomach pains, I know this is from not being gluten free but does this cause the bleeding too. It is unlikely one would develop bowel cancer at 23 ?

hehe

I have been off my diet for 4-5 months noticed some blood tonight. Have been badly constipated, waking up with diarrhea and massive stomach pains, I know this is from not being gluten free but does this cause the bleeding too. It is unlikely one would develop bowel cancer at 23 ?

If you've been constipated, you could very well have hemmoroids. They bleed sometimes during BMs. I was C for a long time and would sometimes get very large external hems, but. they can be on the inside too. Regardless, get checked out by a doctor soon. That's nothing to mess with

I agree with the previous poster. It is highly unlikely that this would be cancer. You sound like you are really having some nasty effects from being off the diet. Why are you not going back to it?

Sugar.....especially fruit......caused excessive rectal bleeding. No problems now, as long as I limit sugar. (And I did get checked out by my doc....have had 2 colonoscopies)

Rectal bleeding can be a symptom of Crohn's Disease too. Crohn's is another autoimmune disease. People with Crohn's frequently have celiac disease as well....here is a link to an article about this:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/915/1/Celia...ease/Page1.html

You should see your doctor about this, of course. And hopefully resume the gluten free diet!

Good luck!

JoAnn

In my case yes, I do get bleeding sometimes, if I have a glutening incident anyway. Also sometimes little patches of almost transparent paper thin tissue show up in the bowl. I think that is the villous lining of the intestines coming out. Sort of like a thin layer of skin. Far as I know I don't have Chrohn's although one of my younger brother's did have it. This doesn't happen to me now unless I screw up real good. Sometimes I wish I had understood this stuff better back when he was alive. I wonder if I could have helped him some.

In my case yes, I do get bleeding sometimes, if I have a glutening incident anyway. Also sometimes little patches of almost transparent paper thin tissue show up in the bowl. I think that is the villous lining of the intestines coming out. Sort of like a thin layer of skin. Far as I know I don't have Chrohn's although one of my younger brother's did have it. This doesn't happen to me now unless I screw up real good. Sometimes I wish I had understood this stuff better back when he was alive. I wonder if I could have helped him some.

GFinDC,

Intestinal tissue coming out sounds more like Crohn's than celiac, I think. You can definitely have both celiac and Crohn's....and if your brother had it, you might want to be checked to see if you do too!

Take care,

JoAnn

the "tissue" could also be mucus, which might be hard to differentiate in the bowl, as it were. (but I don't disagree that getting checked with a familial background is a good idea. :) )

Thanks for the input Jo-ann and Tiffany. I suppose this might not be a common thing for celiacs then. I was thinking it was kind of a normal reaction of a celiac. When I saw Dr. Fassano (just one time), and told him about bleeding and black stool pre-gluten-free, ( black stool being another sign of bleeding), he didn't seem surprised by it. The stuff is really more like skin than mucous. But like I said it doesn't happen unless I get glutened, or eat carrots, or eat dairy or etc... Anyhow, it makes sense to have a talk with a gastro about it. It might explain why I react to some things that in theory should be gluten-free. I just sort of doubt it after seeing what my brother went through with Crohns. Better to have a look see by a doc though for sure.

UnhappyC, I hope you decide to go back on the diet soon. It is not all that hard to do if you stick with it. Just something you have to deicde for yourself and then do. Myself I don't feel like I have a choice as my symptoms are strong enough that it isn't real attractive to cheat. But I know it isn't like that for everyone.

Just decided to ignore, sometimes I feel panicked when im not on my diet thinking I have everything under the sun, feel like a bit of a hypochondriac as well. I had diarrhea cos I wasnt doing my diet its probably from that, dont think I would have bowl cancer or whatever at 23 thanks for the input guys