AJSmom

How Long Did It Take For You To Notice A Difference?

Rate this topic

My son is 3.5. I'm curious to find out how long it took you to notice a difference.

My son also has a speech delay so he can't communicate is needs very well. He will cry when in pain but not really be able to tell me what is wrong.

I have notice a slight change in his bowel movements..to a more "normal" colour, not a huge change just slightly. Just wanting to make sure it's not just me wanting a change to happen right away...??

So, in your experience how soon did you see changes?

Tracy

I noticed changes right away and 8 weeks of being careful still seeing some changes.

I do know when I by accident ingest gluten, It is much worse then when I was eating regularly.

Is your son in early intervention? They are a blessing.

I noticed changes right away and 8 weeks of being careful still seeing some changes.

I do know when I by accident ingest gluten, It is much worse then when I was eating regularly.

Is your son in early intervention? They are a blessing.

We have infant development..I think that's what you are referring to. Yes! he's had that since 12 months old. He also has speech, physio therapist and OT.

I'm seeing so many changes in him. He's SLEEPING!!! that's a big one...he's sleeping in!! Huge changes with his diapers..he has been on medication since he was 6 months. He never had lose stools, he's always had the constipation. I've decreased his does today and that is our goal to get him completly off this medication. But his stomach was always distended, I think it'll be awhile till we notice that change. I can tell he's feeling better....it has been hard these few days.

My daughter has been gluten free about a month now. The first week was rough I would say. The second week I would say I started noticing changes. The third week I think she got gluten somewhere and her symptoms were bad...but over all I do see a difference in her. She's 9 and has even made comments that she has noticed changes too.

My son is 3.5. I'm curious to find out how long it took you to notice a difference.

My son also has a speech delay so he can't communicate is needs very well. He will cry when in pain but not really be able to tell me what is wrong.

I have notice a slight change in his bowel movements..to a more "normal" colour, not a huge change just slightly. Just wanting to make sure it's not just me wanting a change to happen right away...??

So, in your experience how soon did you see changes?

Tracy

My dd was 2 1/2 when she started the diet and I remember at 2 weeks we were astounded. The main difference was in her mood, she was just much happier and more playful. She also never had diarrhea, but rather suffered with constipation. It has been almost 2 years and we've recently taken her off her fiber supplement so that was a slow-go, but it's a journey.

My dd was 2 1/2 when she started the diet and I remember at 2 weeks we were astounded. The main difference was in her mood, she was just much happier and more playful. She also never had diarrhea, but rather suffered with constipation. It has been almost 2 years and we've recently taken her off her fiber supplement so that was a slow-go, but it's a journey.

I'm very interested to hear this, because the med student that was with the ped the first time gluten-free diet and celiac disease came up she said he has to have diarrhea as an indicator!! I'm finding that's not always the case.

I'm very interested to hear this, because the med student that was with the ped the first time gluten-free diet and celiac disease came up she said he has to have diarrhea as an indicator!! I'm finding that's not always the case.

No, it's definately not. Apparently that med student needs to study a little more!

Hi Tracy,

Our son (a little over 5 and gluten free for almost 2 years) also has speech delays which we now know were caused by gluten. We noticed that first month or so was hard (our allergist also had him off milk, egg, yeast and soy) and our son had loved bread, bagels, yogurt, etc. ---all stuff he all of a sudden couldn't have.

His speech really started to improve around 6 months gluten free. At about 7 months gluten free, he got a piece of gluten pizza and his speech regressed for 8 weeks. We've found out that if he gets some gluten, it takes about 8 weeks and then the speech still isn't as clear as before.

I would suggest having your son's iron level checked. We found out last year our son was anemic.

A great resource for language delays is a book called Play to Talk by Dr. James D. MacDonald. Dr. Jim has many great ways to change how we interact with our kiddos (take turns, "play with words----imagine them being a ping pong ball", matching our kids, reducing questions). We have had such a change since using Dr. Jim's ideas---he really empowers parents. We had our son evaluated by Dr. Jim, and he has such a huge heart for these kids. We also saw another leader in the country for late talking kids who within 20 minutes said that our son presents just as kids with celiac. He said that some day down the road our son will tell us that there was a time when he really hurt. Broke our hearts, but we know it's true. Our son has also struggle with allergies and sleep apnea (we had his adeonoids out in the spring and it made a world of difference).