waitingdorothea

Restaurant Told Me Not To Eat Their Chicken...

Rate this topic

Because the chicken might have been free range and might have eaten wheat. I am relatively new to this, and have never heard or seen anything about worrying what my meat ate when it was alive.

But at the same time, the guy had a completely straight face when he said this.

This is as crazy as it sounds, right?

Yup, it is as crazy as it sounds. Meat is gluten-free, regardless of what the animal was fed. This applies not just to chicken, but to all meats.

It is sad how misinformed some people are.

Yup, it is as crazy as it sounds. Meat is gluten-free, regardless of what the animal was fed. This applies not just to chicken, but to all meats.

It is sad how misinformed some people are.

Great, thanks. Just needed a reality check - I figured if I'd never heard it he had to be wrong, but he really did believe that I needed to worry about that.

I react with gluten type symptoms when I eat pork. Not all the time. We live around a lot of pig farms. I heard some of them feed a lot old bakery items to their pigs when getting them ready for market.

I'd love to raise two pigs, feeding one lots of wheat feed and the other no wheat. Then butcher and try them out.

I wish we still had our little hobby farm.

I know that our blood can carry traces of what we've eaten. It has not been proved that it can not be in tissue. It's just until it's proven some people refuse to open their mind to the possibilities.

It's kind of like some doctors don't know sh** about celiac disease, that does not mean it's really all in our head. The medical field has a lot to learn about how our bodies actually process , use and store the food we eat.

The medical field also changes their minds about food and if it's good for you or not. Years ago they said it was eggs that caused high cholesterol, do not eat them. They have since changed their outlook since they now have better means of testing. I was surprised when Mayo Clinic told my dad who has high cholesterol and heart disease that he could eat eggs and bacon. So time will tell if what an animal eats can cause us gluten symptoms.

So keep track of when a food bothers you even if it is chicken. You may soon see something in the pattern and make a new discovery.

The fact that a particular individual with celiac disease reacts to a specific food in no way proves that the reaction is caused by gluten. Many people with celiac disease have other food intolerances.

No scientific evidence that I have seen has shown meat to contain gluten, and many scientific tests have been done that show the opposite. But you are right. It is scientifically impossible to prove that anything is 100% free of anything. No test will ever be able to prove zero. There will always be a sensitivity limit, and you only test one or a few samples.

Today, the best tests can only detect 5 parts per million (ppm) gluten. A product with 4 ppm is 99.999996% gluten-free. Testing will not find the 0.000004% gluten if it is evenly distributed. If it is not evenly distributed, then some samples may be higher that others.

I am supersensitive and I have to agree with Peter on this one. As long as the meat is fresh and hasn't had anything added or injected into it no matter what it ate while living it is safe for you.

Every time this subject has come up every expert seems to agree -- you cannot get gluten simply because an animal ate wheat. Notice that NO organization or list warns anybody to avoid meat because of what the animal eats. Even the CSA, which is generally the most paranoid of celiac organizations, doesn't warn against this.

richard