runningcrazy

Can Someone Please Help Me

Rate this topic

So ive been gluten free 3 months or something, and last night i had my first astro-pop popsicle in a long time.

This morning i woke up with stomach cramps that lasted a couple mintutes. i havent had these in a LONG time.

I went to look at the package. uh oh! there was natural and artificial flavor, food starch-modified, and caramel color. it doesnt say anything about the gluten status, probably because its a cheap store brand that you cant find anything about on the internet. This wasnt astropop candy, it was a popsicle.

So do you think any of those three proabbly were gluten? i hope that will be my only reaction! thanks!

In the US, if the food starch was wheat it would have to say so. Caramel color is safe in the US.

Flavors are usually safe. Wheat can not be hidden--it must be declared. Barley can be hidden in "natural flavors," but this is usually not the case. Barley malt is relatively expensive, so manufacturers want you to know it is there and list it as malt, not as "flavor."

I hope that helps.

I have reacted to foods with "natural flavor" - however this may be some non-gluten sensitivity on my part (for example, I have a reaction to "fragrance" as an ingredient topically - consensus is that I'm sensitive to fragrance, not that it's a gluten issue necessarily).

At any rate, I personally avoid "natural flavors".

You could always call the Astro-Pop folks and see what they say - may not get a definitive answer, but then again you might!

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Also, your reaction time can vary the longer you are gluten free. Some times it hard to pin point a problem. :(

some people react to food dyes. But I really don't think you would get gluten in a popsicle.