Jennifer2

Going Out To Eat For Lunch Tomorrow

Rate this topic

All of us are taking my boss out to lunch tomorrow.

This is the first time that I've eaten out since being diagnosed back in July, and I'm really not looking forward to it

My coworkers know I have celiac-one of them suggested going to a local bakery and that led to me explaining about celiac (I've onlyl been there about 4 weeks). Luckily, they were all very cool about it. I live in a small town, so we don't have very many choices-the only chain restaurants we have here are McD and Pizza Hut, everything else are little local owned restaurants.

My plan right now, is to probably just get a salad, hopefully with unmarinated chicken or something in it and a oil and vinegar dressing.

Other than just making sure the server knows no crutons, is there anything else I need to do?

Remember when eating out was fun :(

Jennifer

When you get there, ask if you can speak with the manager to order your food. It's kind of a pain, but that way that person will make sure that the other people make sure to change gloves or use a different utensil. Just be straightforward with the manager and say I have celiac disease and I can't have anything with wheat gluten in it. Tell them you have an allergy if that what it takes. The manager should do what he can to serve your needs.

Hope that helps!

Brooklyn

Once you know where you are going, stop in and chat with them.

You could have a salad or something like that, but make sure you talk to the manager and the server in great detail.

Personally, I never EVER eat at restaurants anymore...unless they have a specific gluten-free menu, like some places in the States. It's not worth the pain, and I don't trust restaurant staff at all...even if they try their best, everything gets all over the place...even if they cleaned everything before cooking i still feel nervous abuot CC. So I don't do it.

Eat before you go, pack a lunch, explain your situation and ask for a plate. It's much better than getting sick!

Do anything you can ahead of time.

If its possible, get a copy of the menu (some places will hve them online) and study it for selections which are more likely to be gluten free. Essentially, pick your entree ahead of time! Then contact the establishment to verify that your choice does not have any gluten containing ingredients. Let them know the day and approximate time you are comingand explain your needs for careful preparation.

I took this approach recently and was able to enjoy a good meal out.

Thanks everyone

The place we went to had stuffed baked potatoes, so I was able to just get a potato with sour cream and butter. I double checked with the waitress to make sure it was real sour cream and real butter. I feel fine, so I think I was okay.

Jennifer

I very rarely have trouble eating out. The higher end places actually are safer, as each meal is fixed especially for that order and you can specify what to NOT include.

I eat out a lot and frequently use a card that explains the foods to avoid. We are such a litigous society that most places will be very careful not to make you sick so you won't sue them. Lousy reason, but it works.

Chains are a special challenge as they often have recipes set in stone or use pre packaged foods. Even they don't know what is in them.