haleym

Being Very Careful, But Still Feel Like I Got Glutened!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

Ive been doing really great on the diet- barely any Sx since starting (only the times that Ive gotten glutened! :( ) But this is wierd. Ive been feeling that familiar ''someone is sandpapering my guts'' for a day and a half now and Im wondering what I could have done. The lactose feeling is different, thats more bloating.

Ive been very, very careful about cooking ingredients, checking labels, etc. Cross contamination shouldn't be an issue as I have a gluten-free kitchen with ONE cabinet that has some gluten cookies and flour in it. In this same cabinet are canned items only, which are gluten-free and I think I may have used one in the last day or so. And, I have been eating peanut M and Ms at work (just a little handful, like 6 or 7) on Thursday and Friday.

There have been a few things with natural flavors in it that havent been labeled explicitly gluten free but that have non-gluten ingredients as far as I know.

My gluten symptoms usually come on up to 12 hours after eating something, so this seems hard to pin down. If anyone has advice on how to root out whatever is getting me, that would be great!

Thanks guys!

Food diary. Could be that you have other food intolerances? I didn't discover my soy problem until I'd been gluten-free for a year.

Are peanut M&Ms gluten free? That may be your problem if they're not.

Are peanut M&Ms gluten free? That may be your problem if they're not.

Yep, according to some of the other gluten free websites, they are OK.....

Are you on any medications by any chance? I'm the middle of a reaction to an antibiotic that is identical to my glutened reaction. (It's a toss up as to whether it's gluten or my body's issues with antibiotics that are causing the reaction.) But there are meds that have wheat starch or other problem ingredients, and they don't always list them.

The peanut M+M's probably have dairy in them, if that bothers you. It bothers me. Not that the you eat them, but the dairy bothers me. :D:-) Many of us celiac types have problems with dairy. I know I have a dairy reaction that gets worse if I eat it for a few days running.

Natural flavors scare me. There is a list of companies that will disclose gluten in their products on the http://glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index....donothidegluten

web site. So if their products say natural flavors you are ok. But others you would need to call the company or search the web to find out their gluten-free status.