This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Thanksgiving - Gluten Eating Family...

Becci

Becci Enthusiast

Well... I have an issue.

Every year we go to my family's for Thanksgiving. They are BIG gluten eaters...

A ton of stuffings, pies, cakes, cookies, etc..

Since this is my first gluten free Thanksgiving, I need to figure out how to make myself something gluten-free, and still feel like I am eating Thanksgiving food...

My family doesn't understand gluten-free or CC, so I will NEVER be able to eat the same things.

Anyone got some 'single serving' Thanksgiving ideas?

Oh, and my local Health Food store just gave me TWO hugs bags of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Oats, so if anyone has a good oatmeal or oatmeal raisen cookie recipe, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I hope you like chocolate!

Chewy Chocolate Oat Chip Cookies

Open Original Shared Link

You can melt a large marshmallow between 2 cookies and be addicited for life!

I read on here before...some people bake a cornish game hen or a turkey breast...very personal and some leftover :P

Other ideas:

I posted a yummy oatmeal muffin recipe on here:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=63144

or make them with berries

and I saw that you like breadsticks/sauce???

I recently found a very simple recipe that you can make cheesy breadsticks with, found on here:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=63271

you could sprinkle them with parmesan cheese

Hope this helps, I have 2 dd's about your age so I understand. The oldest will be 21 on Sunday and I am making her a gluten-free choc. cake (I have a yummy recipe) with 7-minute frosting.

missy'smom Collaborator

I take my own dinner in a plastic container-like a divided plate with a lid-to Xmas dinner every year. You can make individual pumpkin custards or pies-just use any recipe for the filling and cut it in half-you'll end up with 2-4 servings but can refrigerate the others and enjoy on other days. Bake them in custard cups or muffin tins lined with the foil liners or silicon baking cups. You can make them with or without crust. You can use a crumb or nut crust too. The extra ones can be frozen. Cranberry sauce is easy to make homemade-any recipe should be gluten-free and can be cut down to size, just takes a little math. Extra berries or sauce can be frozen and used later for muffins etc. Add a simple vegetable-steamed green beans. I often buy bone-in chicken breasts and roast one instead of the turkey or roast a turkey breast only and save the rest for eating on other days. Chocolate cake can be made into cupcakes and freeze the rest. I may be crazy but I've even measured out half the mix and baked off only half. I posted an apple crisp topping recipe here using oats. We love the leftovers for breakfast! https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=63203 If you like it, you can make the topping ahead of time in a large batch and store in the freezer. You can sprinkle it on top of muffin batter before baking too. To keep your oats fresh, since you have alot, put the bags in freezer bags and store in the freezer.

mamaw Community Regular

If they don't stuff the bird you could have some turkey or ham. If a bird is being served make yourself a small dish of stuffing to heat up. Celiac specialies has a very good stuffin mix & simple( Iuse less liquid). You can make your own gravy by boiling some either chicken or turkey parts with spices, onions, celery, carrots , strain broth & thicken with cornstarch.

Desserts: pumpkin pie without a crust, just grease the pan well & pour in pumpkin pie mixture & bake as directed. Pamela's has a good gluten-free cake mix or betty crocker an easy find.

If you are near a whole foods they have biscuits that are pretty good. 123 gluten free has yummy southern biscuits. Pamela's has a good cornbread mix.Sweet potatoes or mashed would usually be gluten-free.

If you have gluten-free pretzels you could make strawberry pretzel salad & share with everyone.veggie tray , relish tray to share as well.

Make gluten-free brownies , add vanilla ice cream , carmel topping , some hot choc. & pecans. It is so yummy & forget the cholestral & calories!!!!

enjoy your Thanksgiving.

mamaw

Becci Enthusiast

Thank you all so much! I will take that idea about storing the oats. Since it is gluten-free, and I know how high those prices are, I might just make a truckload of oat stuff for Thanksgiving for my family.

As for sharing a turkey, even if it has not been stuffed... I can't risk it. My family doesn't really care enough to pay attention to CC by using the same utensils for EVERYTHING!

They don't understand!

Makes me wanna rip my hair out and throw it at them!

EmilyR83 Rookie

My baby is the only one with celiacs in the family, so we are going to have our own gluten free Thanksgiving on Wednesday and then package him up a plate of food and desserts and take it with us for the big family Thanksgiving meal. That way he gets to have the real thanksgiving dinner with us and then just leftovers later.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Have a great Thanksgiving with no hair ripping!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived