This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Symptoms (mental) Even When Not Glutened?

Becci

Becci Enthusiast

Well, lately... I have been having my 'mental' gluten symptoms, without being glutened!

It is the same.. Depression, Severe mood swings, anger issues, mind fogginess and short term memory problems...

I know I am not getting gluten, or else I would be having my other symptoms.

Why is it staying all of the time?

Is this normal?

Please help, this is driving me CRAZY!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

soulcurrent Explorer

PMS? I get all out of sorts myself, can't think logically or rationally for 3-4 days a month.

Becci Enthusiast

Too early for PMS, and I neverrrr get like that...

This is Gluten symptoms all over.

What the heccccckkkk???????????

It is driving me nuts!

Roda Rising Star

How is your thyroid, vitamin and mineral levels? Hypothyroid, anemia, b12 and vitamin D deficiency can affect some or all of these.

RobinN Newbie
Well, lately... I have been having my 'mental' gluten symptoms, without being glutened!

It is the same.. Depression, Severe mood swings, anger issues, mind fogginess and short term memory problems...

Is this normal?

Consider insulin levels

I have to for my daughter. Think of all the refined products even if gluten-free, and also foods such as potato and banana.

Actually figuring out the Glycemic Index of the foods you are eating.

Hypoglycemia can cause these emotional symptoms.

My daughter tends to have reactive hypoglycemia (IMO) undiagnosed, but watching this has eliminated her seizures.

These were occurring around her TOM and an abundance of insulin can kick up estrogen levels.

Sorry - I am not a doctor but it what I have personally researched and tried in my own home.

Good luck

gfp Enthusiast

Is this normal?

RobinN and Roda hit the nail on the head...

You might also check yourself and make sure you are not getting CC or small amounts of hidden gluten.

CODEX gluten is enough for me to get the exact symptoms you describe...

Is this due to glycaemic index? Possibly ... A good sublingual B supplement seems to help... but ultimately it is when I take little chances and get caught out that it occurs.

Ms Jan Rookie

It could also be due to other food intolerances, fx dairy, soy, night shades or others - or perhaps chemical additives; many people have gluten like reactions to some of these. So if this might be likely for you, try to think of what you've eaten when you react like this, perhaps keep a food diary. Or more radically, try an elimination diet, where you start with foods you know are safe for you, and then add in one more item every couple of days. then you'll quickly see what you are reacting to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Korwyn Explorer

Is this normal?

Hi Becci,

I had the same issue after I was gluten-free for a while. Turned out that much of the psychological and neuro symptoms I had were actually soy, and in fact they are even worse for me than when I get glutened. I also have issue with some of the nightshades, peppers especially (chili, etc). Tomatoes and Potatoes are OK for me in small quantities. Dairy and Soy both produce depression, and soy triggers anxiety, panic attacks, and neuromuscular issues.

• 5 weeks later...
Jean'sBrainonGluten Newbie

For me inhaled gluten causes some of those symptoms. You might also check for exposure through the skin via toiletries or makeup.... or like some have said try cutting out other foods and see if you see improvement.

CarbQueen Newbie

I have multiple allergies, so trying to live a healthy lifestyle is a challenge.

Just trace amounts can affect my body.

Even a sneeze. Sometimes, drugstores at certain times of year, where colognes are tested. Even, after I shake the hand of someone who has handled gluten or allergens will trigger a reaction.

I'm experiencing mood swings right now. Aaarrrgh!

The severity of the reactions decreased over time because my digestive tract is healing. My immune system is stronger.

• 1 month later...
muchmalignedminx Newbie

I never realised how sensitive we could be. I was aware of the problem of cc during food prep etc but not of what could happen in a drug store. All rather scary stuff I think.

Archived