Imanistj

Cramps In Thighs--

Rate this topic

I've had two children, one without any pain meds, a fractured foot, and two major abdominal surgeries. I also blew myself up once while burning leaves and was burned as badly as is possible without leaving scars. The worst pain I have encountered in my entire life are the cramps I get in my thighs. These are nothing like Charley Horses in the lower legs. I can't talk to anyone while the pain lasts. I can't make myself be silent and that really humiliates me. I'm fortunate I live alone and the cramps almost always occur while I am sleeping. I babble and beg for the pain to go away. The cramps can last around 20 minutes and often keep coming in waves. I have taken magnesium for years, prescribed by my primary care doctor. I have had fewer episodes of cramps sine taking the magnesium, but when they strike they are just as severe. The large muscles in my thighs spasm so hard I can feel them with my hands. After an episode I will have moderate soreness in the affected muscle for a few days. Does anyone else have thigh cramps? If so, do you think they are related to celiac disease? I also get cramps in my toes and arches but they aren't terribly severe. They happen mostly in cold weather, as soon as I walk outside and start driving. I have to pull over and walk for a few minutes to make the pain go away. Wearing tight shoes also contributes to the arch/toe cramps. Any ideas?

You could try some potassium pills or eat a banana a day.

For leg cramps, a doctor at Mayo told my step-mom to take Benadryl for 4 to 5 days. It's suppose to help the cramps for a few months.

Severe cramps in calf (sometimes in the thigh) most often waking me from sleep - became progressively worse over two years. Cramps stopped when I started gluten-free diet. Since then I believe I was "glutened" from flavored coffee and the cramps returned that night. Predictably. Like you, I would describe the feeling as excruciating, rigor mortis-like (how would one know?) stiffness which thankfully subsided after minutes. Potassium, magnesium, ibuprofen - whatever helps. For me it was gluten-free diet. Hope you feel better.

I was watching "Mystery Diagnosis" last inght and the lady had a lot of symptoms similar to celiac, and intense leg cramping. She started eating bananas but it didnt help. When she finally got a blood test they saw that her potassium levels were insanely high, and then found outthat some hormones weren't being secreted. She ended up having Addisons disease, which is another autoimmune disorder.

I know this is most likely not your case, but if they keep going on I would see a doctor.

I have had similar pains. I found that going off all trace gluten really helped, as did taking co-enzyme B vitamins from "Country Life on an empty stomach. I still had some residual pains however and recently have found that regularly taking olive leaf extract or tea really helps immensely. Of course the magnesium and calcium are also essential as are trace minerals including selenium and zinc.

Bea

I take the sublingual B12 and noticed it stopped the restless leg feeling. I don't usually get muscle cramps but wonder if it would help. My DH was having a thigh cramp during soccer season, he's a ref. I asked him if he had taken his B12 and he had forgotten. He took it right away and didn't have a recurrence. I'm not sure if that is the answer but it is safe to take and worth a try.

I take the sublingual B12 and noticed it stopped the restless leg feeling. I don't usually get muscle cramps but wonder if it would help. My DH was having a thigh cramp during soccer season, he's a ref. I asked him if he had taken his B12 and he had forgotten. He took it right away and didn't have a recurrence. I'm not sure if that is the answer but it is safe to take and worth a try.

For me its the B1 that I need to not get the nerve pain, but it is the same idea. I take the entire co-enzyme B complex since that way it is more balanced.

Bea