This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Eat...

ciavyn

ciavyn Contributor

I posted this in the wrong spot! Sorry!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

I know - that's a broad and extreme question. But as I read more and more about people's experiences with this issue, I'm wondering what on earth is left to enjoy when it comes to food? I'm evaluating every bite I take, every meal possibility, and I'm just baffled at this point. How on earth do you get a menu, and how do you make food for your family? I'm new, I know that's a big part of it, and I'm still having symptoms, which doesn't help with the I-can't-eat-you-but-don't-feel-any-better frustration. When you don't have time to cook much, how do you do it? What does your meal menu look like, and how do you cope with losing out on the convenience and fun of eating?

I'm really not trying to be a negative nellie - just trying to find the right mindset.

Wolicki Enthusiast
I know - that's a broad and extreme question. But as I read more and more about people's experiences with this issue, I'm wondering what on earth is left to enjoy when it comes to food? I'm evaluating every bite I take, every meal possibility, and I'm just baffled at this point. How on earth do you get a menu, and how do you make food for your family? I'm new, I know that's a big part of it, and I'm still having symptoms, which doesn't help with the I-can't-eat-you-but-don't-feel-any-better frustration. When you don't have time to cook much, how do you do it? What does your meal menu look like, and how do you cope with losing out on the convenience and fun of eating?

I'm really not trying to be a negative nellie - just trying to find the right mindset.

e

Ok, so realizing that different people have different sensitivities, some will work for you, ignore the the others:

Breakfast

gluten-free rice cakes with nut butter/yogurt/apple butter

omelettes full of veggies

scrambled eggs with Udi's toast

fresh fruit sprinkled with nuts

yogurt- also comes in soy milk and coconut milk, topped with fruit and sliced almonds

snacks

string cheese, apples with peanut butter, rice cakes with a schmear, yogurt, fresh pieces of fruit, cherry tomatoes, veggie sticks with hummus or tzatziki , popcorn

Lunch

wraps made with homemade gluten-free crepes, lettuce wraps, or Sonoma Teff Wraps- add in some lean protein and fresh veg with a savory sauce- honey mustard, cilantro mayo

Salads with lost of veggies

Sandwich on Udi's bread

Leftover dinner from the night before

Dinner

Simply baked chicken with lemon and garlic, brown rice and asparagus

Lentil or split pea soup

shredded chicken enchiladas, corn tortillas, gluten-free sauce

simply grilled or sauteed fish, beans and rice or veg

The hardest lesson for me was to keep it simple. I stopped making a lot of complicated dishes, and just made a protein and a veg for awhile. Your family will be just as happy! It gets better, i promise!

l

missy'smom Collaborator

You start with what you CAN eat. Make a list if you have to. Start with very simple basic meats, fruit, gluten-free grains, dairy etc. Keep a variety of spices and seasoning blends to vary the flavor. Write up a menu for a weeks worth of meals. If you need to, repeat that week's menus the next week and the next until you are ready to add in new things. You'll easily get through a month that way. If you can get though a week, then you can get though a month and if you can get through a month then you can go far. If it is easier and less overwhelming start with one meal-just plan the breakfasts for the week or make a list of breakfasts. I have a notebook page on my laptop that is just a list of breakfasts and another that is a list of snacks that I used to refer to from time to time. Saved mental energy for me as I was not constantly re-inventing the wheel that way.

I keep a stash of homemade convenience foods on hand-in the freezer. Takes a bit of time on the front end but saves time later on in those busy moments/days. It's a trade off. A few canned soups in the pantry help too.

It seems so restrictive at first, but you will find in time that there really are SO many options available to us and you will find things that you really enjoy, especially if you keep your mind open to new things.

ciavyn Contributor

Thank you for your responses. It's a bit...much, that's all. I went to a healthy grocery store who said they had a great big section of gluten free foods...only to find they had less than the local grocery store (Wegmans). I tried one of their gluten free muffins...blech! The Red Mill cake mix tastes much, much better. But I think I'm also having issue with either dairy or chocolate (I can't figure out which it is), as I'm feeling a bit crappy tonight, which means I'm limited even more. I've got to figure out a way to get into a mindset of everything I CAN have. So thank you - and the food lists really help, as do the pep talks. It helps put me into a different vantage point.

Crayons574 Contributor

Have you heard of Open Original Shared Link ??

All her recipes are gluten free, most are dairy free, soy free, corn free, grain free. They are all delicious and super easy to make...not to mention they actually resemble the real-deals! She has a ton of recipes on her website, so there is plenty of variety. Hang in there--you'll realize sooner or later that there really are countless options of food you can eat and truly enjoy!

one more mile Contributor

When I feel good it is easier to look at what I can eat. Its been two July's since I gave up gluten and I have finely broken though were I feel like I have good choices of things to eat. Bit by bit I added to the list things I can eat. Right now I am actually cooking apple crisp. Dinner was Hillshire farms smoked sausage and herb, almond flour, spice and oil baked potatoes. Use the web to look up foods you miss. I have found awesome gluten-free recipes on here and often make adjustments for my own tastes. I have about 4 breakfast meals that I rotate based on my mood.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

Onemoremile: you are absolutely correct. My issue is that I'm impatient: I've gone off gluten yet haven't seen a big change in symptoms yet. It's better than before...yet not that much better that I think the lack of my favorite foods is worth it.

But it hit me over the weekend, as I was debating what to get at the store - I have a ton of choices. I just have to put the effort into the research and cooking. So I'm getting there. =) Helps when you turn around your attitude. And I am always interested in new recipes and ideas, and this is a great forum for that. Thank you for your thoughts.

Archived