LoraW76

Holiday Gala

Rate this topic

I work at a high school and every year around the holidays, we have a food gala where everyone showcases a dish. This year, I will be bringing a gluten-free dish since this is my 1st Christmas w/ Celiac. Should I send out an e-mail to my collegues asking if they could prepare gluten-free foods so I can eat more than just my one dish? Or they label their dishes? I feel like I am being selfish, but like everyone has said on these boards, this affects my health.

Thanks eveyone!

You could send everyone an email explaining that you have learned a lot about allergies and illness's such as diabetes and celiacs this year. And ask that in order to accommodate everyone's needs would they mind sharing their recipes? Maybe have them email them back to you, compile .... decorate with graphics of candy canes and Christmas trees........ print!

Thing is even if they are willing to cook something gluten free, would you trust them to know enough not to CC the heck out of you? I think I would trust 3 of my 7 co-workers.

I suggest you go with your dish and some crackers. No need to announce to the whole group that you have special needs. Go and enjoy each person instead of making the food the center of attention.

I work at a high school and every year around the holidays, we have a food gala where everyone showcases a dish. This year, I will be bringing a gluten-free dish since this is my 1st Christmas w/ Celiac. Should I send out an e-mail to my collegues asking if they could prepare gluten-free foods so I can eat more than just my one dish? Or they label their dishes? I feel like I am being selfish, but like everyone has said on these boards, this affects my health.

Thanks eveyone!

Take your gluten-free dish and put some crackers or pretzels in your purse. Usually someone will bring a vegetable tray or a fruit tray, just don't eat the dip. It is a hard thing to learn, but really no one is very interested in our disease but us (and family and a few close friends) Don't make a big deal of it. Just eat what you are comfortable with and enjoy the party.

Thing is even if they are willing to cook something gluten free, would you trust them to know enough not to CC the heck out of you? I think I would trust 3 of my 7 co-workers.

This.

I don't trust someone to know that soy sauce has gluten in it. That Swanson's Organic Chicken Broth has wheat in it. That shared wooden spoons or pasta colanders will contaminate food.

Bring your own dish to share, and bring your own food for yourself.