This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had Reaction From Uno's Gluten-free Menu

Laurelf

Laurelf Explorer

I just ate at Uno's Chicago Bar and Grill. I asked for the gluten-free menu. I ordered diet pepsi, ceasar salad, hamburger with no bun and the mashed potatoes - all were on the gluten-free menu. I have no idea what is causing it. The potatoes had cheese and sour cream mixed in, but I have been having milk products all week without a problem, unless there is hidden gluten in the sour cream? I was thinking maybe there was cross contamination with the salad (maybe they just pulled off the croutons instead of making it fresh) but would cross-contamination alone cause a bad reaction (bad pains, bad diarhea)? What makes it difficult is that I don't always have the same type of reaction when I have gluten - sometimes I get diarrhea, sometimes just the pain, sometimes just DH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laurel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Just about any CC will send me to the bathroom for a few hours.

I'm uncomfortable eating at pizza restaurants, too much flour floating around and too much chance that the wrong utensil will be used to cut or stir something.

UnoChicagoGrill Newbie

We are so sorry that you had a poor experience at our restaurant and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please send us an email at comments@unos.com with your contact information and the details about your visit.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
We are so sorry that you had a poor experience at our restaurant and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please send us an email at comments@unos.com with your contact information and the details about your visit.

I'm impressed that you have taken the time to read our board. Kudo's to your restaurant and caring that one of our members had a reaction! :)

converge Apprentice

Getingt an occasional reaction from a chain restaurant is fairly unavoidable. I'm of the very sensitive celiac variety, but I try my best to go out with my (non-gluten-free) girlfriend and do the restaurant rounds every once in a while. I'd say I've eat off the gluten-free menu from Uno's about 10 times, and have probably had 2 or 3 small reactions. All in all, I'd say that is really quite good, considering how easy CC is in a kitchen. At this point it is definitely not keeping me from eating there.

If the above poster actually represents Uno's and is being honest, then I am really heartened to see this kind of outreach. Amazing! Keep it up guys!

msmini14 Enthusiast

My husband and I always go there, we love this place. We have become friends with the owner and his manager, they really do care about the way the food is cooked.

There is always a high chance of cc anywhere you eat, it is hard to avoid unless they serve gluten-free food only. I have had the pizza here and I did get sick once, but I cant say if it was cc or the dairy.

And I agree, I am glad to see Uno reading on this site! I told the owner where we eat I would help throw together a menu lol, but it complicated for them to do that on their own.

• 2 months later...
pbc+celiac Rookie

I ate there 2 months ago ordered off gluten free section and became violently ill on the way home until 4 days later. I had chicken and potatoes. I have not been back due to the extreme reaction I had. I think a cross comtamination took place.

Alicia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
superbeansprout Rookie

I ate there 2 months ago ordered off gluten free section and became violently ill on the way home until 4 days later. I had chicken and potatoes. I have not been back due to the extreme reaction I had. I think a cross comtamination took place.

Alicia

I had a really bad reaction to Uno's a few months ago as well. They had added some newish items to their menu, one of which was chicken breast rolled with broccoli, feta, tomatoes, and garlic, with mashed potatoes. it was very good! except I got violently ill while still in the restaurant. I was so disappointed. I've had their pizza numerous times and been fine, have been told by a waiter at one Unos that I shouldn't even bother ordering the salads if I'm gluten free, because they cannot guarantee that the salad was cut on a gluten free surface. um...what??? then WHY put it on their gluten free menu????? I haven't been back since because the entire reason for creating a gluten free menu is most specifically for Celiac's, not to cater to those eating a gluten free diet because they feel like it. it's so disappointing to go to a restaurant who seems to have put a lot of effort into creating this menu for us, only to find that all the right steps MIGHT not be being taken to ensure that those items are in fact free from all contaminants.

Archived