Julysailor

Problem With Ruffage

Rate this topic

Has anyone had a non-gluten problem eating ruffage, lettus salids, while in the recovery mode? I didn't use any dressings just lettus, baby spinish and chopped ham.

By evening time I was suffering pains in my lower right side. These were not like the pains I get after getting glutened. Any ideas, Thanks!

I suspect you have what wis called a "leaky gut", which means the lining in your intestines are damaged to the point of having some holes. I read it explained as Swiss cheese. It's not unusual for peoe with Celiac or intolerances to develop this before knowing they have these issues. Since we have damaged villi and low/no good bacteria in our intestines, they become damaged. Key is to get good bacteria back in your system. You want the lactobacillus acidophilus, the stuff they advertise in yogurts. If you are dairy intolerant, as I am, you can find allergen-free supplements and vitamins from www.kirkmanlabs.com. I took 2/day, one in morning and one in evening, for 2 weeks and started seeing a difference in digesting the tough stuff much better. I still take 1/day and if I start feeling affects of my trigger foods I will take a 2nd one for a few days. It seems to help some. Good luck!

I have problems with lettuce for some reason. I thought I had issues with raw veggies in general for a while but then one wintery week I wanted a salad really bad but didn't have any lettuce so I just used other 'salad' stuff. I discovered a salad made with carrots, green squash, cukes, onions, peppers and even raw green beans went down fine with no issues. For me the raw veggie issue was the lettuce.

That said many of us do have a hard time digesting raw veggies until we heal. If they bother you leave out the salads for a time and use more well cooked ones.

I suspect you have what wis called a "leaky gut", which means the lining in your intestines are damaged to the point of having some holes. I read it explained as Swiss cheese. It's not unusual for peoe with Celiac or intolerances to develop this before knowing they have these issues. Since we have damaged villi and low/no good bacteria in our intestines, they become damaged. Key is to get good bacteria back in your system. You want the lactobacillus acidophilus, the stuff they advertise in yogurts. If you are dairy intolerant, as I am, you can find allergen-free supplements and vitamins from www.kirkmanlabs.com. I took 2/day, one in morning and one in evening, for 2 weeks and started seeing a difference in digesting the tough stuff much better. I still take 1/day and if I start feeling affects of my trigger foods I will take a 2nd one for a few days. It seems to help some. Good luck!

I agree with the above. My roomie who also has celiac typically has a problem with roughage after he has been glutened. Soothing herbs like marshmallow root and/or slippery elm helps speed the healing process--as well as going off all roughage for a while.

I also want to mention the ham--it may well have gluten in it or be CC'd.

Bea

Any time I eat alot of salads/beans after a period of not having alot, I tend to get an upset stomach. For me it is the increase in fiber that bothers me. If I gradually build up then I'm fine. Maybe it is just to much fiber at one time and try increasing it gradually.

Thanks to all, very good and promising options.

God Bless you all.

Good idea, thanks so much!