Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Patch

Carmel Coloring E150

Guest Patch

Coke, any brown whiskey, like scotch, bourbon, dark rum, etc, also fake maple syrup, and soy sauce that does not have wheat, has carmel, and lots of other sauces like bar-b-que and wing sauces. Any time I have symptoms I can trace it back to some tasty sauce I ate yesterday. I am really pissed with IHOP for mixing in pancake mix in to the nice omelettes they make so that it will be fluffy. I am also pissed with my oriental foods guy for using flour on my chicken and vegi stir fried. On the other hand, I am pleased with myself for eating really good wholesome pure foods, and the 25 pounds of weight lost by not eating donuts and bagles and waffles and pancakes and toast and pies, and cakes, and pies with crust and all the millions of fried foods with flour coating, and beers. Thank God for Redbridge and a world of great wines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Coke, any brown whiskey, like scotch, bourbon, dark rum, etc, also fake maple syrup, and soy sauce that does not have wheat, has carmel, and lots of other sauces like bar-b-que and wing sauces. Any time I have symptoms I can trace it back to some tasty sauce I ate yesterday. I am really pissed with IHOP for mixing in pancake mix in to the nice omelettes they make so that it will be fluffy. I am also pissed with my oriental foods guy for using flour on my chicken and vegi stir fried. On the other hand, I am pleased with myself for eating really good wholesome pure foods, and the 25 pounds of weight lost by not eating donuts and bagles and waffles and pancakes and toast and pies, and cakes, and pies with crust and all the millions of fried foods with flour coating, and beers. Thank God for Redbridge and a world of great wines.

Carmel Color should not be a gluten issue. I think that you are depriving yourself needlessly. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Everything I've read has said caramel color is okay. I think that is a celiac urban myth isn't it?

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007