sandsurfgirl

Xanthan Gum And Tapioca

Rate this topic

Twice now I've had a gluten free baked good and then my nose got all swelled up inside and my sinuses started bugging me right after I ate it. I also felt sort of a funny sensation on my lips like tingling.

They both had tapioca and xanthan gum so I'm suspecting one of those.

I am freaking out about this. Tapioca and Xanthan gum are like gluten free staples for baked goods. Ack!!!

I guess I will have to try them independently and see which one it is. This is so frustrating. I want to be able to use the easy Brownie mix when I have a church potluck and have something quick and easy that I can eat!!!

The books I have all use those ingredients heavily too for baking. I am so upset about this.

So sorry you are having these issues. You could try replacing the tapioca with potato starch, and the xantham gum with guar gum to see if that helps when you're doing your baking?

We had to eliminate corn recently for a while and my initial reaction was similar(no cornstarch!even baking powder has corn) but I soon found several processed carby gluten-free products that were corn-free.