Evangeline

Can Stress Make Celiac Disease Symptoms Become Worse?

Rate this topic

I always suspected I was a Celiac but the symptoms were never severe enough for me to actually go on a gluten-free diet. I had plenty of edema, I was irritable, I had acne that -never- cleared, weak stomach acid and a host of other "atypical" symptoms of Celiac Disease.

Under stress a few years ago, my body stopped absorbing nutrients. I developed Chronic Fatigue and a host of new symptoms related to celiac disease.

My question: Can Celiac Disease become worse over the years via extreme stress?

Yes, things can worsen over time, and yes, stress can escalate them. The stress can be physical due to illness, injury, childbirth or surgery; it can also be emotional due to a major change in life circumstances. Divorce, or loss of a job can also be triggers.

Stress can DEFINITELY cause symptoms to flare up. I hadn't eaten anything containing gluten but my stomach was KILLING me. Then I realized it was because the boss of my company was coming in for a visit and I was nervous. The whole week before he showed up my stomach was killing me. Once he was gone I was back to normal.

If untreated yes as Peter said. After you have been gluten free for a while and have healed I think it is a bit more individual. In my case I get no problems gut wise from stress at all anymore.

if you've had celiac undiagnosed for a few years, yes, the symptoms will get worse over time, and will eventually create more symptoms, and possibly more auto-immune diseases. As they pile up higher and higher, so to speak, they will become more noticable, even if before you thought your occasional upsets were "normal".