This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need To Go On Antibiotics, But Am Afraid

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I already have various food allergies and digestion problems. I went on a course of Alinia to treat parasites back in November and when i got retesed I had 5 parasites (3 new ones). this indicates that the medication made me more susceptible. I havent gotten my food allergies retested but I suspect that I have a lot more of them now.

Anyway, the bugs are still inside me and my doc might want to put me back on antibiotics, but am worried that they will mess me up even more. is there any way i can treat the bugs and preserve whats left of my intestines?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Have you tested yourself with yogurt? Even though lactose intolerant I could do yogurt. That and probiotics are about all you can do to protect yourself against antibiotics, in my experience. I have a vague memory that if they give you flagyl there is something you can take, but can't remember what it is. Don't know what the treatment is for the parasites you have.

jasonD2 Experienced

cant tolerate yogurt and am on probiotics ..maybe just not enough

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Jason: I suspect you meant that you need to take antiparasitic drugs (rather than 'antibiotics') to treat the parasites. However, if the DNA Microbial stool test diagnosed your parasites, the test results don't list drug or botanical sensitivities for those parasites. The test results say: "sensitivities are not performed on parasites, because they do not grow in culture under normal laboratory conditions. Standard protocols are generally used for treatment of parasites." So you really have to rely on your doc's knowledge of which drugs will treat your parasites.

I can understand your fear of taking more drugs which can kill off good bacteria and allow other bad bugs to proliferate. Been there, done that, too many times to mention. However, even though antiparasitic drugs can disturb your normal gut bacteria, you need to eliminate those parasites which are causing all your current problems. At least one of those parasites (the hookworm?) will make you continue to lose weight and the others may worsen your current symptoms as time goes on. To prevent getting even more parasites or bacteria or even recurrent candida, you will need to take high dose probiotics (at least 12-16 billion live bacteria daily) while you take the antiparasitic drugs and then follow the treatment with even higher dose probiotics (over 100 billion good bacteria per dose daily) to restore your normal gut bacteria and prevent reinfection.

SUE

Audbeau Newbie

Jason,

What specific test did you do for the diagnosis of parasites? I was just diagnosed with strongyliodes sp and went on Albendazole... well lo and behold a month and a half later I am re-infested. The doctors are running more parasite tests that are coming back clear, but all of my symptoms are back. Even before I was diagnosed with parasites, all of the parasite tests would come back clean, then they ran a genetic test and found strongyloides. But I passed way more than strongyloides... How did you find out all of the parasites you have??? I fell like my doctors here are running the wrong stool test, not the genetic one...

jasonD2 Experienced

Hi-

It was the Metametrix parasitology DNA test. The company is actually using me in a study to see if there is any error in their testing or if there genuinely is something wrong with me that is causing parasite infections. My doctors are stumped and I will most likely start medication next week after I submit a 2nd sample. Did you have any symptoms? I was under the impression that bug doesnt really do anything

Jason

Audbeau Newbie

I have had alot of symptoms... stomach bloating ( it is called the belly bloating parasite), having stomach pain, extremely tired, brain fog, and alot more... Once I got rid of the parasite I felt SO much better but now all of my symptoms are coming back and we are assuming I am reinfected. I can't get re-tested for another two weeks though! I also went through metametrix but what I passed was more than strongyloides...

What are they putting you on to clear the parasite?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jasonD2 Experienced

Thats frustrating- I was on Alinia for 2 weeks back in Nov and was starting to feel much better, but dont think the course was long enough.

My doc hasnt decided what he wants to put me on since there are a few possibilities. We are first rechecking to see if i Still have the bugs or if there was an error on the part of Metametrix. WIll most likely start off with Meendazole (5 days) and a 1 month course of ALinia...after 2 weeks if the Blast is still there might add another med to the mix...this could go smoothly or take months and I am really concerned about having antibiotics in my body for that long. Antibiotics are the reason why I developed all my problems to begin with, but this time I will OD on probiotics and take the necessary GI support to prevent complications.

Archived