This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Birthday Cake!

G-freegal12

G-freegal12 Contributor

My birthday is on the 26th of March :lol: and we are driving to the coast. I need a cake that can travel well (be in the trunk without crumbling to peices) and that can satisfy me and my gluten crazy friend. :ph34r: Can anyone help me with my impossibe birthday wish?

P.S A nice frosting would be great too! :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skigirlchar Newbie

betty crocker has 2 flavors of cake mix... frosting... well, i would start experimenting now

hannahp57 Contributor

betty crocker has 2 flavors of cake mix... frosting... well, i would start experimenting now

Betty crocker has some gluten free frostings too. and i have made one that survived a car ride. that one and the gluten free pantry cake mix both travel well. happy bday in advance

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

How about a giant Ding Dong? I made one of those for my b-day and it traveled fantastically because of the chocolate glaze.

G-freegal12 Contributor

Trillim, aren't Ding-dongs gluteny? :huh:

Ski girl, do you know how those taste? We tried the cookies... :blink: Yick. All flat and crisped into a crunchy pancake.

Hannah, you definately are right. I'm starting to experement today. Do know where they sell these frostings? I've looked all over :wacko:

Thanks everyone! ^_^

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Oh no, I meant a homemade gluten-free Ding-Dong. It's easy, you make a one layer cake mix in a sheet pan. You roll it up while warm in a kitchen towel. When it's cool, gently open it and spread with whipped cream or fluffy frosting. Roll it up and glaze with chocolate. It's pretty easy and SPECTACULAR! Even my gluten lovin' FIL said it was great.

I'll post more specific directions if you are interested---pressed for time right now.

G-freegal12 Contributor

Oh no, I meant a homemade gluten-free Ding-Dong. It's easy, you make a one layer cake mix in a sheet pan. You roll it up while warm in a kitchen towel. When it's cool, gently open it and spread with whipped cream or fluffy frosting. Roll it up and glaze with chocolate. It's pretty easy and SPECTACULAR! Even my gluten lovin' FIL said it was great.

I'll post more specific directions if you are interested---pressed for time right now.

I think I'd liike to try that! When you got more time, post again. Sounds yummy! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryannG Rookie

I think I'd liike to try that! When you got more time, post again. Sounds yummy! :lol:

I recommend Namaste Cake Mix or Pamelas (my first choice is Namaste). I add choc chips just cuz I love chocolate. I use Betty Crocker smooth and creamy chocolate icing, or anything else right off the shelf that doesnt contain wheat. I don't buy gluten free labeled icing, I just check the ingredients. If you have time, I also recommend Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. Her desserts are incredible to make. She has a choc cake to die for in their. When baking homemade I only bake with Authentic Foods flour (which I have to special order)and it is expensive but it is so worth it! I t really tastes like regular flour. I personally don't love the Betty crocker cake mix. It is ok, just a little gritty, but I don't find that with Namaste or Pamelas brand. I am thankful; to BC for making it though. Like I said, its not bad, its just not the best.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We use Kinninnick. We've served it at many birthday parties and team parties and NO ONE has ever been able to tell it is gluten free. I make homemade buttercream or chocolate frosting. Both are very easy. Let me know if you need either recipe.

G-freegal12 Contributor

I live in the most, glutenfull town ever... :( W've got almost nothing <_< No good cake mixes around... :wacko:

mushroom Proficient

I am a chocolate freak, and this is a cake I baked for my husband's birthday. It is so rich that you only need small pieces, and it is heavenly served with whipped cream or ice cream. With all those eggs, it is not delicate and would travel well!

Open Original Shared Link

So if you're into baking at all, this will blow them away. The only flour in it is almond flour, and if you can't get that locally you can grind up some blanched almonds yourself in a food processor.

G-freegal12 Contributor

I am a chocolate freak, and this is a cake I baked for my husband's birthday. It is so rich that you only need small pieces, and it is heavenly served with whipped cream or ice cream. With all those eggs, it is not delicate and would travel well!

Open Original Shared Link

So if you're into baking at all, this will blow them away. The only flour in it is almond flour, and if you can't get that locally you can grind up some blanched almonds yourself in a food processor.

No food prossesor...YARGH. :mellow:

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm keeping four EXTRA kids this week!

I did use a Betty Crocker cake mix. It was good, and it only makes one layer.

You need a cookie sheet that has a rim on it. Liberally spray with Pam. Lay down a sheet of parchment and liberally spray this, too. Don't skip this part! Pour your prepared cake mix into the pan and spread to the edges. Bake it at the regular temp., but for much less time--like 15 minutes but watch it. While it bakes lay out a dish towel and sprinkle it heavily and evenly with powdered sugar. Use a mesh strainer for this if you have it. Take the cake out using the edges of the parchment and FLIP it over onto the towel. BE BOLD AND QUICK! Gently roll up--towel and all. Leave it to cool. Unroll, peel parchment and spread with frosting.

For your ease, I would recommend a whipped frosting from the can. It will taste like Ding Dong filling. Roll it up gently.

The chocolate glaze it just chips melted with shortening and a little corn syrup. 1 bag chips, 2 tablespoons shortening, 1 tablespoon corn syrup. Melt slowly at half power in microwave.

Put the roll on wax paper and glaze by dripping spooning or spreading. If it cools, just reheat it.

Move to a platter. A plate won't be big enough. It's actually better the next day. Oh, keep it in the fridge.

See, the only "special" thing is the mix. If you can find that, everything else is ordinary stuff. It's not hard, just don't be afraid to roll it up. If it breaks, no worries, cover that spot with glaze.

It's really rich and looks pretty when sliced.

Let me know if you need further instructions. I'm subscribed to the thread so I'll get the message.

newgfcali Rookie

No food prossesor...YARGH. :mellow:

What about a coffee grinder? Do you have one of those? It'll work, too.

Mushroom... did you make this with real butter? That's one of my no-no's. If you didn't, what did you use to substitute? It looks WONDERFUL!

G-freegal12 Contributor

Sorry, I'm keeping four EXTRA kids this week!

I did use a Betty Crocker cake mix. It was good, and it only makes one layer.

You need a cookie sheet that has a rim on it. Liberally spray with Pam. Lay down a sheet of parchment and liberally spray this, too. Don't skip this part! Pour your prepared cake mix into the pan and spread to the edges. Bake it at the regular temp., but for much less time--like 15 minutes but watch it. While it bakes lay out a dish towel and sprinkle it heavily and evenly with powdered sugar. Use a mesh strainer for this if you have it. Take the cake out using the edges of the parchment and FLIP it over onto the towel. BE BOLD AND QUICK! Gently roll up--towel and all. Leave it to cool. Unroll, peel parchment and spread with frosting.

For your ease, I would recommend a whipped frosting from the can. It will taste like Ding Dong filling. Roll it up gently.

The chocolate glaze it just chips melted with shortening and a little corn syrup. 1 bag chips, 2 tablespoons shortening, 1 tablespoon corn syrup. Melt slowly at half power in microwave.

Put the roll on wax paper and glaze by dripping spooning or spreading. If it cools, just reheat it.

Move to a platter. A plate won't be big enough. It's actually better the next day. Oh, keep it in the fridge.

See, the only "special" thing is the mix. If you can find that, everything else is ordinary stuff. It's not hard, just don't be afraid to roll it up. If it breaks, no worries, cover that spot with glaze.

It's really rich and looks pretty when sliced.

Let me know if you need further instructions. I'm subscribed to the thread so I'll get the message.

Thanks!!! :lol:
mushroom Proficient

What about a coffee grinder? Do you have one of those? It'll work, too.

Mushroom... did you make this with real butter? That's one of my no-no's. If you didn't, what did you use to substitute? It looks WONDERFUL!

Sorry, I missed this post until today. Yes, I did use the butter, which is why it was so rich. :lol: I'm lucky not to have to avoid casein. Have no idea how it would work with other shortening.

newgfcali Rookie

Sorry, I missed this post until today. Yes, I did use the butter, which is why it was so rich. :lol: I'm lucky not to have to avoid casein. Have no idea how it would work with other shortening.

Well, maybe I'll try it with Earth Balance soy-free. It actually tastes remarkably like butter, despite it's healthy ingredients. :P

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

Well, maybe I'll try it with Earth Balance soy-free. It actually tastes remarkably like butter, despite it's healthy ingredients. :P

I'm dairy and soy free as well; I've made most of Karina's older recipes (the only ones that have butter in them) with Spectrum Organic Shortening. It's palm oil, not soy; though to get a butter taste, I do have to add imitation butter extract. Usually, I skip that part and add a very small amount of alcohol or extra vanilla.

newgfcali Rookie

I'm dairy and soy free as well; I've made most of Karina's older recipes (the only ones that have butter in them) with Spectrum Organic Shortening. It's palm oil, not soy; though to get a butter taste, I do have to add imitation butter extract. Usually, I skip that part and add a very small amount of alcohol or extra vanilla.

I never thought of using imitation butter extract. Good thought!!!

All of my baking still comes out looking like science experiments, but I'll keep trying.

mushroom Proficient

I've never even HEARD of imitation butter extract :blink: When I'm in the U.S. and not using butter I do use Earth Balance soy free and like it a lot. Have not got used to using Spectrum as it is only available to the food processors down here (the health food store checked for me and the smallest size available was 15 kg :o:lol: I'm looking forward to trying it this summer.

Your science experiment comment is one of the reasons I do not substitute frequently :lol: I know that feeling well.

G-freegal12 Contributor

Oh my goodness!I can't BELIVE it's not butter! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
G-freegal12 Contributor

I've never even HEARD of imitation butter extract :blink: When I'm in the U.S. and not using butter I do use Earth Balance soy free and like it a lot. Have not got used to using Spectrum as it is only available to the food processors down here (the health food store checked for me and the smallest size available was 15 kg :o:lol: I'm looking forward to trying it this summer.

Your science experiment comment is one of the reasons I do not substitute frequently :lol: I know that feeling well.

Surprisingly, the butter extract can be found at a Jo-Anns in the Wiltons department. :lol:

• 1 month later...
skigirlchar Newbie

sorry i didn't get back to you sooner! i have been in the middle of a crazy job hunt and apt hunting! ACK!

i found the betty crocker mix to work fine. i typically use "smart balance" instead of butter - ONE OF THEM IS GLUTEN FREE *but you have to check the side of ALL the tubs to make sure you get the correct one! and of course, there could still be some cross-contamination w/in the factory...... :/

as for shopping in a GLUTEN ZONE.... i admit, i am fortunate to have a number of choices to shop at - but the one i frequent the most (and lest expensive) are IDIOTS!!! the "gluten free zone" is mixed w/ all the "organic foods" AND is the SAME ISLE as the bread isle! nothing like standing there finding your gluten-free pasta next to the artichoke pasta which is made w/ wheat AND SMELLING THE BREAD behind you!

THANKFULLY the town i am moving to has a Wegman's which has a dedicated gluten-free zone less than 10 miles from my new home!

Archived