BethM55

My New View On Eating Out, Thanks To The People Here

Rate this topic

We met with friends at an Italian restaurant tonight. I didn't know about this event until this afternoon. I checked the menu online, and decided a salad would be my only option. The waiter looked at me like he'd never heard the word gluten before, so I gave him my little "this is gluten and I need to avoid it" card from Livingwithout.com, to give to the chef. The waiter brought out a huge jug of Caesar dressing so I could read the ingredients! And a flashlight to help with the low lighting in the place! Funny, really! So, I had a plate of romaine lettuce with Caesar dressing for dinner, and a grilled cheese sandwich (thank you, Udi's!) when we got home. I figure I'm a long way from starving.

I'm still at the point where I have to wind up my courage when we eat out, especially when we are with people I don't know well or at all, as was the case tonight. I don't like the spotlight on me (or a flashlight!), but it's better than getting sick from the meal. In the discussion here about restaurants, the point has been made that it's better to feel healthy than to worry about being a problem to someone about our dietary needs. I'm taking that to heart. Thank you!!! :D

Next month we are going on vacation, and most of my meals will be prepared by other people for those 10 days. It will be interesting. I plan to bring or buy basic supplies, as I'd like to have something with me that I know is safe for me to eat. I don't want to ruin our vacation by getting glutened. Fortunately, I don't have a celiac diagnosis, but am gluten intolerant, and I am not as sensitive as some folks here, so a crumb or a whiff of gluten won't completely incapacitate me. Still, it's stressful thinking about being away from home and my own kitchen for so long. I have a feeling that fruit and vegies and cheese and gluten-free crackers and peanut butter will sustain me if necessary.

I'm working to get to the place of eating to live, where the gluten stuff is just not important. It's a long, slow journey, but I'm on the right road. Thank you all for your wisdom and companionship on the journey.

Glad to hear that you have such a positive attitute. I have eaten out a few times in the last 1 1/2 years. The steak house I went to twice was awesome. I stuck to the steamed veggie plate and thought I would get the steamed apples. The waitress came back and told me that chef said that the apples would not be safe. I have not had any problem at the two times we went to Fatz locally either again sticking to something safe and simple. I think I'm going to get some of those dining cards also since I usually don't know how to communicate things easily with the staff. Last time I tried to eat out I had a horrible waiter who was a jerk and really made me mad. I asked for some plain steamed asparagus and stressed I wanted nothing on it. I got is and it was sprinkled with parsley. Now mind you the parsley was fine but what part of PLAIN did they not understand. I also found some kind of unknown brown chunk on my plate, so I wouldn't eat it. I was so frustrated, but at least I had a few things in my cooler I had brought. It sounds like you are getting a hold of things. You should be proud of yourself.

Thanks, Roda. I hope so. The dining cards are very helpful, save me a lot of talking that may not be understood. Information in writing is harder to misunderstand.

Good for you! I eat out a few times per week. My schedule is such that I just need to. I haven't gotten glutened eating out once.

Know where I get glutened? From my kids! In my house! I find it easier to eat out than stay safe at home. We are transitioning to a completely gluten free house because of it.

Lots of chains do gluten free. Sometimes it's not on their website but if you call the corporate office they will have a list of safe foods to give you over the phone. I'm working on a binder for my car with lists of what I can eat at different chains.

I'm surprised the italian place couldn't make you a chicken breast or something like that.

SandSurfGirl, that's a good idea, to check with corporate offices about safe menu items. At the restaurant where we were last night, about 95% of the items were pasta, pizza, or breaded, and the staff and chef seemed mystified by the gluten question. I figured the risk of serious cross contamination was pretty high. I was there for the people, not for the food, and had eaten a very late lunch.

My home is not gluten free, although I've thought about getting some cookware just for me, especially a colander. It's a process and a journey, I suppose.

Good for you! I eat out a few times per week. My schedule is such that I just need to. I haven't gotten glutened eating out once.

Know where I get glutened? From my kids! In my house! I find it easier to eat out than stay safe at home. We are transitioning to a completely gluten free house because of it.

Lots of chains do gluten free. Sometimes it's not on their website but if you call the corporate office they will have a list of safe foods to give you over the phone. I'm working on a binder for my car with lists of what I can eat at different chains.

I'm surprised the italian place couldn't make you a chicken breast or something like that.

When you get the binder done, you should go into business of selling it on here! :)