Shannonlass

Steel Sieve & Colander

Rate this topic

I have a steel colander and steel sieve. At this stage we are only cooking gluten free pasta but up until 2.5 months ago these would have been used to strain gluten-containing pasta. They have been scrubbed to within an inch of their lives (I hate the goo that pasta leaves behind). My question is, is there a possibility that there is still gluten left on these after all these months? The sieve has never been used to sieve flour (I'm not much of a baker!!)

I still use all my old dishes and pans, but that's just me. Never had a problem. I would think the super duper scrubbing would do it!

I have a steel colander and steel sieve. At this stage we are only cooking gluten free pasta but up until 2.5 months ago these would have been used to strain gluten-containing pasta. They have been scrubbed to within an inch of their lives (I hate the goo that pasta leaves behind). My question is, is there a possibility that there is still gluten left on these after all these months? The sieve has never been used to sieve flour (I'm not much of a baker!!)

I did replace both of mine but they were ancient (think 1960's) and figured I'd never get them clean. I was also on a roll buying a few more new kitchen things to start my gluten free life.

Are you having any problems using your older colander and sieve? If not, I would think 2-1/2 months of using them give you your answer.

I did replace my colander, but is was a plastic one. I now have a steel one and if by some chance it was to be used for gluten pasta I would just scrub it really good. You can see the residue on it really well.

I would say stainless steel is safe as long as you clean it well which you have done. I think you are fine. plastic & porous surfaces are a different story....