Kathleen Smith

Glutened- Advise

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone!

I have been gluten free for a little of a year. The first couple months was alot of learning. At 6 months my numbers had gone down alot but i still had antibodies from just not knowing cross contamination and such. I'm sure many of us had these issues in the begining.

The next 6 months were great. I learned more and was being super strict. I never ate out either. My numbers fell low and not antigens as my GI doctor wanted.

I actaully now have an appt at the Celiac Research Center at the University of Columbia in NYC! I live close and thought it would be a good idea to go talk to the experts (although my GI doctor is great and I will continue to check in with her).

The thing is, this month I traveled for work ALOT (I packed food that I could --but my lunches got all water logged) and I got glutened twice at the hotel. They tried to be very accomadating and were for the most part (maybe it was cross contamination who knows). Then on Saturday my uncle made me a special gluten free lasagna at this family function and i ate. It was great!! I felt fine. About two hours later I had another tiny slice. Snacked on almonds and fresh fruit too. I had bloating at first and then a couple hours later had BAD cramping ......

This weekend I have to go to dinner twice! Both Gluten Free Rest (Charlie Browns and some other place, but I talked to the Chef and manager already)

DO I STILL GO TO THE CELIAC CENTER (end of MAY) or wait??? I dont want them to think I was cheating! My numbers were so good last time and I am worried they wont be now??

Any advice appreciated...

Hi there. Are you sure your symptoms are because you were glutened? Could be that you have developed a sensitivity to something else such as lactose or nightshades(tomatoes etc.) alot of us here have found other foods we can't eat anymore after going gluten free. I would double check all your Uncles ingredients to look for possible gluten and if you don't find any then it could be the moz cheese or tomatoes...

Did the almonds come out of a bulk bin, or were they a brand like Emerald that doesn't use dedicated lines? I only eat Diamond branded almonds because I've had a lot of issues with CC eating nuts.

Personally, I wouldn't skip the chance to go see experts even if I got glutened by mistake.

I would go and just let them know what happened. I am sure they will be understanding.

Thanks everyone! I will go, it would be stupid not to. Dont know why I actually feel embarassed if my numbers go up from being glutened. But I guess in this world "glutening" will happen on occassion no matter how good you try to be. I didnt want them to think I was being a "non compliant" celiac patient.

Does anyone know if you are gluten free for say 5 years and healing and feeling good but you do accidentally get glutened once or twice a year like when traveling for something or whatever......how much damage does that do to your villa and scaloping??