This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf On A Student's Budget

printmaker81

printmaker81 Rookie

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I am happy that the doctors finally know what is wrong with me, and there is a future ahead of me free of listlesslness and an upset digestive system. However, I start grad school in the fall. I have been trying to save up for it, but all the doctors' visits have zapped my resources. I have school and a new diet to factor into the budget now. The new diet seems to be a bit more costly than the old. Does anyone have tips on not breaking the bank to get healthy again? Are there coupons or resources, heck, even scholarships out there? I'd really appreciate some help while I'm trying to figure all this out.

Thanks

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

There's another post "sponsors" that I responded on with some tips, and there are a number of old posts with suggestions, but basically, the cheapest way to go is to not buy specially prepared packaged gluten-free food. You pay a premium for it, and if money's an issue, it's not a premium you want to pay.

Almost all natural, whole, unprocessed foods are gluten-free - because the only natural, whole, unprocessed foods that have gluten are wheat, barley, rye, and oats. So stick with natural, whole, unprocessed foods that aren't those: rice, beans, corn, fresh produce (or frozen if fresh isn't on sale), plain meats, regular spices (not seasoning mixes), and the like. (I always leave dairy off the list, being CF myself, but that too... :-) )

It may require some cooking, but cooking need not be difficult at all. (Making chicken soup from scratch requires nothing more than cutting the chicken, carrots, and onions, and throwing it all in a pot with rice, water, and spices. Oh yeah - stir occasionally and simmer until the rice is cooked through.)

Guest gfinnebraska

All that Tiffany said above... I go by the rule: If it is still in the form God made it, you can eat it. :) The best thing you can do is buy a grill (if you don't have one) and then just eat things plain. You can eat grilled meat ~ all kinds, rice, potatoes, beans, veggies, fruit, salad (Newman's Own is sold at Walmart and has many gluten-free varities: I love their Ranch ~ yummy!!!), cheese, juice, etc. I find I feel the best the simpler I eat. :) Yes, the gluten-free mixes are handy and yummy, but they are expensive and made me gain weight!!! Ha! Rice flour is more dense and higher in calories ~ not a good combination for the waist line. :)

Hope that helped!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Well, I am a student in grad school! and I "try" to manage the diet expenses and all other expenses. Sometimes I have to avoid spending money for awhile so I can buy food! The gluten free diet doesn't have to be expensive... This is mostly my diet:

- a variety of frozen veggies heated up in the microwave (I eat a lot of this)

- stir fries

- lots of fruit

- gluten-free bread or rice cakes and peanut butter

- gluten-free tuna sandwiches

- salads

- Heinz beans in tomatoe sauce

- gluten-free pasta (actually not very expensive) and Ragu sauce

- Thai Kitchen (Spring Onion and Thai Ginger) intstant Rice noodles Open Original Shared Link

- cavendish straight cut or shoestring fries

- gluten-free taco chips and salsa

- and the occasional meat+potatoe meal

- once in a while, I will experiment and try something different which sometimes costs more.

In Canada, you can get some of your money back by claiming celiac as a medical condiction. You will get the difference in the cost of gluten free food and gluten food back in your income tax. I don't know if there is a system like that in the US or not!

Hope this helps!

Guest AmandasMommy

yes there is, you can keep all your receipts from gluten-free foods and claim them. but my tax friend says it may be just a bother. but if you do buy alot of gluten-free foods and it does say gluten-free on the receipt then it just my help. :D

Guest imsohungry

Hi Heather and Welcome! :)

I am also a Grad. student, gluten-free, stressed, and flat broke. ;)

I think everyone has been giving excellent advice...the "simple" and natural foods are almost always gluten-free...with the obvious exception of wheat, barley, etc. that we must avoid.

Quick Favorites of mine:

Cocoa pebbles/fruity pebbles for breakfast

Or, for a big breakfast, bacon, eggs, cheesegrits (I'm in the south) :P

For lunch, a salad, or dinner leftovers, or a frozen entree (if I am going to treat myself to a gluten-free specialty product, I usually do it at lunch. "Amy's" frozen entrees are the best!)

For dinner, I LOVE my crockpot. I do not have time to cook. So, I just toss the chicken (or whatever meat) in the crock pot with a jar of BBQ sauce and leave for work. When I get home, I have dinner! :)

Good luck to you...being gluten-free and in school! B) -Julie

lovegrov Collaborator

Unless you've got large medical expenses other than gluten-free food AND you can itemize, the tax thing isn't worth it. It's also still somewhat questionable whether it's legal.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived