JenniferS

Newly Diagnosed With Lots Of Questions.

Rate this topic

Does anyone out there know if Nicoreete Gum is gluten free? i quit smoking over a year ago but still chew the gum. Was only diagnosed 6 days ago and am in the process of finding food...checking medications....I'M SURE YOU HAVE BEEN THERE!!!

This does get easier, right??

Hi Jennifer- Welcome! Nicorette gum is gluten-free : From Nicorette.comDoes Nicorette contain gluten, animal derivatives, latex or dairy products?

No, Nicorette does not contain any of these.

Yes, it gets MUCH easier! Really. It's overwhelming at first. When I went gluten-free in 2005 there were few gluten-free products and other labels didn't always disclose gluten. It has gotten MUCH easier. You will see gluten-free on many packages now and every supermarket in my area now has a small gluten-free section.

There's some good info in these links:

Celiac.com main page

Mainstream Gluten-free products and meds.

Ask away- people here are full of good info!

Thank you sooo much Beverly. Especially for the encouragement! I'm sure you will be seeing alot from me for a while.

What restaraunts do you suggest? (I travel alot in my job & I think this is going to be tricky!)

Do you trust the restaraunts?

Thank you sooo much Beverly. Especially for the encouragement! I'm sure you will be seeing alot from me for a while.

What restaraunts do you suggest? (I travel alot in my job & I think this is going to be tricky!)

I trust them to a point, but under NO circumstances walk into your old restuarants blind. Ask questions, alot of them. And learn a new Mantra....when in doubt leave it out even if someone gets their nose out of joint. If that happens ask yourself "is putting your health at risk worth keeping this person happy"?

Take the time now to peruse the restaurants forum for ideas. Then check chain restaurants websites. Many have allergen info. Islands, Pei Wei, Outback, PF Changs, Daphne's have stuff on their sites. If you call Baja Fresh they have it at corporate. They're working on the site.

You are very welcome! Really, I swear it does get easier. There are always times when it's difficult, but like with anything else, you learn how to work it out.

At first, restaurants were mostly out for me because I didn't know what I was doing and people would look at me like "You can't eat what? What's that?" but there is much more awareness now.

That said, it still takes some work. The things I always remember to explain are flour, bread, pasta, bread crumbs, soy sauce and malt. I had a waiter argue with me at a restaurant that soy sauce is made from soybeans, not wheat. MOST soy sauces have wheat, La Choy does not. Alos, explaining cross-contamination is an issue- for example, you can't mix my Caesar salad in a bowl where you've mixed croutons in other salads. If you make a mistake and put croutons on my sald, I can't just pick them off. I need a new salad.

I eat at places that have gluten-free menus often- don't know where you're located but Outback, Legal Seafoods and places that prepare as you order are best.

And absolutel- when in doubt, leave it out!

Does anyone out there know if Nicoreete Gum is gluten free? i quit smoking over a year ago but still chew the gum. Was only diagnosed 6 days ago and am in the process of finding food...checking medications....I'M SURE YOU HAVE BEEN THERE!!!

This does get easier, right??

You learn the ins and outs of it, and yes it gets much easier. You'll also feel better, which gives you more energy and makes EVERYTHING seem easier.