katzee

Sick From Eating Small Amount Of Gluten?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I could use some advice.

I'm a newly (~2 months) self diagnosed gluten intolerant person. I didn't have health insurance for several months and in those months it dawned on me that I may have some issues with gluten. Ever since I had a really bad bout with mono in college I never really felt the same, and I went to the doctor numerous times. Among other things, I was incorrectly told I had Lupus (I don't) and depression (I don't). Some of my numerous issues were: chronic headaches, chronic fatigue, nearly constant mouth ulcers, newly developed lactose intolerance, kind of constant digestive issues, and general crummy feeling a lot of the time. (Also- I've had unexplainable low blood platelets for the last few years?) So I cut out gluten to see if it would help, and my life vastly improved. To cite a few examples: I can now make it through the day with energy to spare, no more ulcers, both less frequent and less severe headaches, no severe hangovers since I stopped drinking beer, and I can drink milk again without bringing on the worst stomach cramps I've ever experienced.

I've been pretty good about not eating gluten. I ate a piece of corn bread about a month ago and I don't remember too much happening as a result. However, the other day (Thursday) I ate something questionable. I ordered hallal chicken and rice from a street cart for lunch and I noticed that the hallal man was using a piece of pita bread to cover the small amount of chicken that was left (it was pretty late lunch), I assume to keep the chicken warm? I didn't think I was that sensitive so I ate it anyway. A few hours later I started getting really bad diarrhea that hasn't stopped yet. I also feel kind of out of it and I'm having a really hard time concentrating. Also nauseous and a feeling like I might faint has come and gone a few times. Could all this be from the pita that was on the chicken? If so, will it ever stop? Is there anything I can do to make it end sooner?

Sorry if I included more details than necessary, I'm anxious about what's going on right now and I wanted to make sure I included all the relevant information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes does sound like you have been glutened. It can take a week or two to pass completely. Eating out is risky for us and the pita bread on top of the chicken would be enough to do it. I hope you feel better soon.

Ah yes, the joys of eating out...where a simple meal can mean weeks of misery. :( Sorry to hear you got caught. But yeah, I was glutened on Friday, and went through the same thing. I'm still not right. Hope it passes quickly for you.

could it have been because the chicken had been on the cart a little too long?

The pita would have been enough to set me off. I have found that chicken when eating out can often contain Wheat, so can rice. best to duck in a grocery store and buy a banana or carry a lara bar in your purse.

could it have been because the chicken had been on the cart a little too long?

That sounds more likely to me, though a few people are that hypersensitive to gluten.

Sorry, but you just have to ride it out. When I get either food poisoned or glutened, I use Immodium AD to stop the diarrhea. It works really well for me. Once that stops, if I have stomach aches for the next few days I use Pepto-Bismol and eat plain rice in gluten-free broth. I haven't figured out a way around the brain fog yet, though drinking lots of fluid to replace what your body is losing seems to help a little. I tend to drink a little Gatorade or broth for the salt and a lot of water.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've had food poisoning in the past and it was always distinctly different than this but regardless I don't think I'm going to solicit that cart again.

Everything you have described happens to me with the smallest amount of gluten. When I have been glutened the brain fog is terrible and I have fatigue like no other. A Dr. that has Celiac told me that if you eat gluten/wheat, it is a 5 day process until you can be half way back to normal. So, if you have symptoms that are bad that last, maybe you are getting more gluten than you think. Don't ever eat anything from a restaurant unless you ask the chef what is in it. A food cart would be a TERRIBLE place to get food. Buffets are not good either. Use the Clan Thompson website to get lists of gluten free food, drugs and listings of restaurants that have gluten free food. SOOO helpful!