quincy

Newbie With Questions/help

Rate this topic

I am new to this forum as well as recently diagnosed with "mild celiacs," on April 14th, 2010. The biopsy said Mild I guess because the villi were blunted? with some crypt hyperplasia.

my question has probably been asked many times here. how long does it take to get some normalcy. my main symptoms are mild discomfort in the abdomen and somewhat loose bowels and the feeling that I have to go even after I have already "gone" once. does any of this sound familiar? I also get a sense of fogginess and lightheadedness/dizzy in the mornings especially. anxiety has been terrible. I worry all the time now about every little symptom to the point where I might need an antidepressant.

I was starting to see some normalcy in my bathroom visits until I recently went to a Japanese buffet and asked the chef to make me rolls with no sea weed, but then I realized he was probably using the same gloves and surface as he was handling other foods so I must have gotten my rolls contaminated. I am going to have to learn to be very specific I guess.

if any experienced folks out there have some words of encouragment as well as confirmation of what I have said, please respond.

all the best!

In my limited experience, you sound pretty normal and like a new celiac person! :) You are right -- cross contamination can be tough. Try not to obsess on everything -- remember that there are thousands of people living undiagnosed with similar symptoms...they manage to get through the day. You are making positive changes to help alter this part of your life, and in the long run, you will feel so much better!

Hang in there!

And, what the heck is "mild celiac?!"

thanks that is a great point. If I hadn't found out I would have just gotten worse.

"mild Celiac" in the biopsy report must be referring to the damage to the villi. blunted as opposed

to completely flat.... that's my assumption. my nutritionist didn't like that term, but there was no doubt

I was going to take the gluten free living seriously despite the misnomer.

If you eat clean (gluten free) the symtoms will eventually get alot better. You just have to have patience. I was still getting symtoms 3 months after my biopsy. But its been 6 months now and my gluten levels have gone down from 18 to 5.7. (7 being normal for a celiac. 1 or 2 is normal for someone without celiac. So just hang in there. For awhile don't go to eat anywhere where you don't know what there doing in the kitchen. Once your symtoms get better then you can pick and choose the places to eat.

everyone is different with how fast you start feeling better. you may start feeling a lot better in some areas (gi) and other areas (bone and joint pain) may take a while longer. cc will set you back so while you are healing and learning how to eat gluten free it may be best to make it yourself ... that way you know how it was handled and what the ingredients are! about the only thing you can do is take it day by day. you will find a lot of help and encouragement here ... this site is full of knowledge and support! :)