The Glutenator

Too Hard On Myself?

Rate this topic

I just went out for dinner with a friend. Called the restaurant ahead, double checked with the server that the cc issues were OK and the entree I chose was gluten free. Felt great. But, I ordered a caesar cocktail. Just looking now, I realize there is gluten in the clamato juice used. I am so hard on myself when this happens. I tried to hard to be safe, and slip up. I got diagnosed with cieliac about 3.5 months ago and I know its a learning process, but damn! Fingers crossed the dash of seasoning is not going to be super sick all weekend.

Oh man I am just so frustrated with myself! Hence the second addition to this rant! Would really appreciate some support.

I can only offer you *hugs* of support. We are new to this too. My son was Dx late April of this year. Every time he gets a tummy cramp or loose stools, I am wracking my brain to try to figure out what I did wrong. I have been told by many others to not be too hard on myself and to allow a YEAR to get a hold of this new diet. I understand your frustrations and just offer you encouragement and praise for all the things you did RIGHT! Eating out is a big step and a scary one. You attacked it and now will have a lesson to carry with you for your next time.

Just wanted to say the same thing. It takes courage to eat out with our problem. It took me years to do it. Just remember with every mistake you make you will come closer to your goal to not make any mistakes anymore.

Good luck, Stef

Thanks so much. You just try so hard to do the right thing for yourself and when the ball gets dropped...damn. But your encouragement is really appreciated.

I know how you feel! The other weekend I took a bite of my husband's eggs with the fork he was eating his waffles with! So not only did I feel sick, I felt like an idiot too! It's just so hard to get in the habit of questioning every tiny thing!

Gluten happens! I'm not a Clamato fan but recently heard it has gluten. Why? :huh: (not expecting an answer - just something else to ponder). A couple of weeks ago, I picked up Hub's beer and had a drink. Both in brown bottles, was making dinner & not paying attention. I feel like I'm pushing important info out of my brain so that it can contain all the gluten info on foods. What's the name of the president, again? :P

Ha ha. it is very comforting to hear we are all in the same boat. There is just a dash of the clam juice in the drink (and there can't be that much gluten in the clam juice), so luckily I didn't feel too horrible. Bye-bye favorite patio drink! You and beer will be sorely missed! And as a side note: my mom has had digestive issues for a while now, and yesterday got a positive blood test back for celiac. Now family gluten mourning!

And as a side note: my mom has had digestive issues for a while now, and yesterday got a positive blood test back for celiac. Now family gluten mourning!

You can have a gluten-free wake! This should make it easier at family gatherings. :P