This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pedi Says Eczema, I Think Gluten Rash

Chakra2

Chakra2 Contributor

Here goes -- first post!

I am in the process of pursuing a diagnosis for myself and my 2 yr old son. We have both been having a variety of food intolerances and digestive issues.

My question right now is about my son's skin symptoms.

He has had something that his pediatrician has at various

times called eczema. It is like small red bumps that cluster around

his mouth and chin. The last 3 times we've gone to the

doctor for well-child visits the doctor has said that it is a rash caused by

the hand, foot and mouth virus and has told me that my son has sores in his

mouth (also virus-related, according to ped.). Dr told me very firmly

that I should NOT consider the eczema, rash or sores to be food-related (he

knows I think my child might have food intolerances).

Has anyone else's child had bumps that sounded like this?

Am I off the mark to think it's weird that my son just happened

to have hand/foot/mouth symptoms at all THREE of our last well-child

visits?

I took my toddler off gluten in January as part of a general

elimination diet, trying to address nightwaking/eczema/diarrhea. Not

realizing that celiac might be a possibility. I got instant, awesome

results but still see the rash every couple of weeks or so.

It would help me to know if this kind of a rash can be related to gluten

or if people think it's more likely to be something else.

Thanks!

Chakra2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

After a reaction to a frozen pizza-vomiting and a rash like you described, I had my son allergy tested-basic blood and skin for top allergens and he reacted to wheat with both so I took him off gluten and his eczema cleared up and didn't return. Kept him off for a month and a half-long enough for all sores to heal and to be sure the eczema didn't come back. Re-introduced gluten and it came back. Recently, he got a very comprehensive skin testing for foods and after eliminating all of them , then re-introducing them one by one, we found that beans caused his eczema to return. Find yourself an allergist who does extensive food allergy panels and who believes in eliminating foods even if an anaphalactic reaction is not present.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I agree that it could very well be gluten causing your son's symptoms. However, there are often additional intolerances to watch out for, like to the other top allergens. Dairy is often not tolerated, especially while the body heals from gluten. Soy, corn, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish are also tops allergens.

The occasional breakout might be because of some other food, but it could also be that he's coming into contact with gluten. Have you eliminated all gluten from your kitchen? Tossed out wooden spoons, cutting boards, etc? If you toast gluten-free bread, you'll need a new, dedicated toaster. Cast iron pans are another troublesome item, as they are porous, and thus can harbor gluten. Scratched non-stick surfaces can also be a problem, and the usual recommendation is to replace those as well.

Many find a food journal very helpful for tracking down culprits, especially since some reactions can occur several days after exposure.

Chakra2 Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

Beans??? Who would guess! I think I will look into other allergies. We did an IgG test on my son

that showed mild reactions to 7 or 8 things but his pediatrcian

pooh-poohed the test in general (I had it done with an alternative-minded

MD) and I haven't really known how seriously to take the results. I

would like to do conventional IgE testing as well.

As for the kitchen, our home is gluten-free, dairy-free

and soy free. BUT I haven't replaced those utensils, pans, etc. It just

seems so out-there! And my husband and relatives already think I'm crazy

with all the gluten avoidance so if I tell them I think it's in wooden spoons I

worry they'll have me committed. :) I think I'll just replace the spoons and

cutting boards quietly.

Thanks again for the help!

T.H. Community Regular

Just from the perspective of other things it could be...have you looked at impetigo? That's something my son just kept getting over and over, sounds very similar to the rash that you mentioned, near the mouth and chin. Washing can make it go away, after many, many days, but sometimes it needed antibiotic creme or it just lingered and lingered. I'd have to put the antibiotics on 3-4 times a day, for a couple weeks, for the bad cases. And it would spread sometimes, otherwise

I mention it because my son and daughter have other food issues, too, and my son seems prone to getting rash problems around his mouth. he's the one with more food issues, and sometimes I've wondered if that makes him somehow more susceptible to skin concerns like impetigo, as well. Since we've eliminated all his food problems, I've noticed that the one time he got impetigo, it cleared up much more easily, and quickly, than it had before.

Thanks for the replies.

Beans??? Who would guess! I think I will look into other allergies. We did an IgG test on my son

that showed mild reactions to 7 or 8 things but his pediatrcian

pooh-poohed the test in general (I had it done with an alternative-minded

MD) and I haven't really known how seriously to take the results. I

would like to do conventional IgE testing as well.

As for the kitchen, our home is gluten-free, dairy-free

and soy free. BUT I haven't replaced those utensils, pans, etc. It just

seems so out-there! And my husband and relatives already think I'm crazy

with all the gluten avoidance so if I tell them I think it's in wooden spoons I

worry they'll have me committed. :) I think I'll just replace the spoons and

cutting boards quietly.

Thanks again for the help!

Kelly&Mom Rookie

Could be. My daughter was diagnosed with eczema at 3 wks of age but didn't get diagnosed with celiac disease until she was 13. Her eczema/dandruff she's battled all her life is going away!

My youngest daughter also gets bumpy, red spots around her mouth. Spectrazol, I think it's called helps get rid of it.

Archived