Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking4help

It Was Hard But I Did It!

This may sound so silly but I just have to share and here is the only place I get the understanding support that I need right now.

Last night my daughter and I went out for a family camp meal at my son's boy scout summer camp. They were serving big, fat steaks and baked potatoes. OH YUM right?

To make things better MY hubby was the one doing all the cooking! YEA!!!! He was so very kind to start a NEW steak for me after I asked him and explained that mine would need to be cooked on foil because of CC with the grill grate. Mind you this was after he had already been working on a nice big steak for me that had sat ON the grate :( AND he had very carefully checked the ingredients of the seasoning pack for gluten. YEA gluten free!!

Well, yea until I realized that he was using the SAME tongs to flip my new steak that he was cooking on the foil. :( How could I tell him that I just couldn't risk it? I didn't want to hurt his feelings but I knew I did not want to be in pain for the next 2 days at least. So, I carefully said please don't be mad but.....

Well, he was so very kind about it and I looked over a few minutes later to see him with a NEW steak on a NEW piece of foil and he was flipping the steak with his fingers! Burning them quite bad by the way! But by then I was so scared of CC that I just nibbled on a baked potatoe that had been cooked in foil on the coals. (Hoping that will be ok.)

So, point of it is I resisted the chance of CC over and over even though I really could have sunk my teeth into one of those big fat steaks!!!!

And I don't think hubby was upset at me either!!

:)

Self Diagnosed April 2010

Gluten Free April 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Awe, that is SO sweet that your hubby is understanding. I would have eaten the one he flipped with his fingers, but that's great you were able to resist. For the future, have them wrap the steak completely in foil and that way he can flip it without changing tongs. It may take a little longer to cook, but it will still cook just fine. I have done this with chicken and veggie packets on the grill with no problems.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

That is so frustrating- good for Hubby :)

xox

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Your hubby is a real keeper. I also would have eaten the one that he flipped with his fingers but it is okay that you didn't. The idea about wrapping the whole thing in foil was a good one.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Oh thank you for the idea to wrap it entirely in foil. I didn't even think of that!

Yes, my hubby is a keeper. He tries so super hard for me not only in the gluten area.

I really feel so bad for those that don't have understanding spouses.

:)

Self Diagnosed April 2010

Gluten Free April 2010