Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oceangirl

Wallpaper Removal + Accidental Glutening

Hi all,

Well, this is fun, just thought I'd share: I spent yesterday stripping wallpaper off my kitchen in order to paint it and, while I know wallpaper glue is made with wheat (Yay!), I didn't think it was getting into the air until I noticed on my black t-shirt later a fine dust all over me. And, you guessed it! MISERABLE night. We still have more to get off, although I've been banished from the kitchen during the process, I think it would need to be hermetically sealed to prevent its getting in the air.

Words of caution for anyone "feng shui-ing" it...

Any ideas welcome, too.....

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am sorry that this happened to you. I had to find out the hard way also so your not alone. One thing I would suggest is that drop cloths be put on the doorways of the room to try and keep dust down in the rest of the house. If you are going to help with clean up when they are done be sure to wear a mask and rubber gloves. I hope the job is done quickly and that you feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Can the area be sprayed with water as you go along to keep the dust out of the air? Good luck. We are doing our own renovations.

This actually works well with drywall compound but don't know if it would work with glue. It would be worth a try though with scraping afterward.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

you might want to seal up the heating/AC ducts well. Use duct tape or duct tape and plastic. Dust gets in the air ducts and can blow around the rest of the house for days.

Wow! Thank you all for your advice and kind thoughts- I'd forgotten the heating ducts- yikes!!! I'm on it!

Yeah, I really should have known better, but I have trouble sitting still or watching others work!

Thank you again- I will try all ideas.

lisa

Wow! Thank you all for your advice and kind thoughts- I'd forgotten the heating ducts- yikes!!! I'm on it!

Yeah, I really should have known better, but I have trouble sitting still or watching others work!

Thank you again- I will try all ideas.

lisa

I feel for you! So many building compounds have gluten in them--like pre mixed plaster and Fixall not to mention most glues, even for floor tiles. Even plywood dust from after making a cut. And of course most plaster boards--so avoid being around when they are being cut. You will have to clean everything thoroughly once the dust has settled. For your health and safety think of doing something else meanwhile and consider hiring someone to take your place. Hanging the thin plastic sheeting is a good way to block the dust from getting into the rest of your house.

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Yolo,

Thank you, too. Yes, I realize I've opened the proverbial "can of worms" in my kitchen and thank you for all of your suggestions as well.

Good health to you,

lisa

you might want to seal up the heating/AC ducts well. Use duct tape or duct tape and plastic. Dust gets in the air ducts and can blow around the rest of the house for days.

Great idea! Just had the ducts cleaned and wallpaper will be removed from our bathroom soon. Most likely I'll have to do it myself so hope I can keep from getting cc.

Great idea! Just had the ducts cleaned and wallpaper will be removed from our bathroom soon. Most likely I'll have to do it myself so hope I can keep from getting cc.

If you plan to do it yourself, get a heavy duty mask with nozzles. After working bag your work clothes, take a shower and wash whatever it was that you were wearing. Make sure to clean the mask too. I speak from hard experience since my job has been renovating old houses for several years. It took me some time to figure out what was making me ill. I now hire out various projects that otherwise would make me ill. Its just not worth getting a migraine for or far worse...

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!