Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sandsurfgirl

Well I Accidentally Proved My Point

I am always outspoken about using gluten free shampoos and soaps as many of you have seen because of my own experience not getting better until I made the switch.

Well... there is ONE product I still use with caution that contains wheat. Redken Anti Snap leave in hair treatment. When I've been swimming or to the beach a lot and my hair needs a pick me up, I put it on, tie my hair up, wash my hands really well and then I'm careful it doesn't run into my mouth when I wash my hair later.

We had that big long thread about this recently and it got heated, so I guess I subconsciously needed to prove my point. Yesterday I put Anti Snap on my hair but forgot to tie it up. I went about my day out and about doing errands and whatever. I have a habit of absent mindedly running my fingers through my hair a lot.

I must have run my fingers through my hair a bunch and then I ate finger foods- glutino crackers, apple slices and carrots. All of a sudden I got a major panic attack (my first glutening symptom always), felt dizzy, stomache cramps.

When I realized how I got myself I was so mad but then I had to laugh in light of the recent thread. LOL

Feel free to laugh at me or slap me for being a big dope.

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

<slap> :P Then you have to slap me back for the froyo :D:D Happens to the best of us, chickie!

Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

Well... there is ONE product I still use with caution that contains wheat. Redken Anti Snap leave in hair treatment. When I've been swimming or to the beach a lot and my hair needs a pick me up, I put it on, tie my hair up, wash my hands really well and then I'm careful it doesn't run into my mouth when I wash my hair later.

We had that big long thread about this recently and it got heated, so I guess I subconsciously needed to prove my point. Yesterday I put Anti Snap on my hair but forgot to tie it up. I went about my day out and about doing errands and whatever. I have a habit of absent mindedly running my fingers through my hair a lot.

I must have run my fingers through my hair a bunch and then I ate finger foods- glutino crackers, apple slices and carrots. All of a sudden I got a major panic attack (my first glutening symptom always), felt dizzy, stomache cramps.

When I realized how I got myself I was so mad but then I had to laugh in light of the recent thread. LOL

I'm one of those people who accidentally swallow water containing shampoo or creme rinse while I shower. So I changed 3 months ago to Shakai Naturals shampoo and creme rinse which are free of all my 7 allergens. It even tastes good. LOL

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I'm one of those people who accidentally swallow water containing shampoo or creme rinse while I shower. So I changed 3 months ago to Shakai Naturals shampoo and creme rinse which are free of all my 7 allergens. It even tastes good. LOL

Mmmm shampoo. Yummy! :lol::lol: Oh boy 7 allergens to watch out for. Wowee. That's a tough one.

Thanks for the slap Janie! :P;)

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Last week I used Blu Swim chlorine removing shampoo and saw that there was wheat protein in it. This is the first shampoo I've tried that actually removed chlorine from my hair. I was extremely careful with it and rinsed like crazy. I have very short hair so figured I got it all out. I was pretty careful to not ingest any.

I did have some D issues the following morning but nothing too severe. It could have been the shampoo or possibly something else. I am going to give it one more try the next time I go swimming and be even more careful.

I got rid of all my other products that contain wheat or oats and most likely will have to get rid of this one, too:(