Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperMolly

Breathing In Boiling Gluten

This may be stupid, but is it possible to get sick from breathing in the steam from boiling gluten?

Last night I got sick and I am sure I did not consume any gluten. My kids were making Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and I was near the stove as the noodles were cooking. Could that have made me sick?

Another time I was at a friend's house and as they were boiling brats in beer I began feeling sick. Do you think this is coincidence or am I right to tie it to breathing gluten steam? I know I can't breathe wheat flour, but has anyone else experienced getting sick from wheat steam?

I've suffered from intestinal problems since childhood.

Age 30--I was told I had IBS and that I'd just have to "get used to it".

Age 33--I went wheat-free and felt a little better.

Age 36--A friend was diagnosed with celiac disease and recommended that I get tested too. I demanded a test even though the doctor assured me I did "not want it". Test was positive and I have been gluten free ever since.

Age 37 and Counting--I never would have guessed my body could feel this great! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

All I can really say is that your body seems to be telling you that it can. Could there also have been CC issues in both cases with folks handling the gluten stuff and then contaminating the areas? Perhaps.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Yes - I was at a club dinner and there was a big pot of boiling spaghetti in the next room. I rapidly developed brain fog and left but had a miserable night.

DQ6/DQ8

HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302

Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

Yes. The first few months I was gluten free I made regular spaghetti for my husband and I felt sick even though I didn't eat the spaghetti. My home is gluten free now because I'm so sensitive.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)