Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kareng

Yeah! Target Pharmacy

I switched my perscriptions to Target Pharmacy because Walgreens doesn't allow the pharmacists to check meds for allergens and the pharmacist there said that the amount of gluten in medications doesn't matter.

Just had my first experience with them and 3 perscriptions today. I called to remind them about the gluten "allergy". Just got a call, they called all of the drug companies to ask about gluten! I asked the name of the companies so next time. if they are the same company we won't have to check.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I switched my perscriptions to Target Pharmacy because Walgreens doesn't allow the pharmacists to check meds for allergens and the pharmacist there said that the amount of gluten in medications doesn't matter.

Just had my first experience with them and 3 perscriptions today. I called to remind them about the gluten "allergy". Just got a call, they called all of the drug companies to ask about gluten! I asked the name of the companies so next time. if they are the same company we won't have to check.

There are some companies that just don't use gluten ingredients. Call the companies whose names you got and make sure that they have that policy. If not then if you take generics have the pharmacey call at each refill as binders can change.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

The Walgreens here in my neighborhood called about the gluten to verify. I also called so we both got the correct info. I asked the name of the company that was making the medication and I called.

Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).

Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

My Walgreens says there is a lock on the phone so they can't call long distance or 800 numbers. I emailed the main company and got 2 different responses from 2 different people on the same day. One said " talk with your pharmacist.". After I already said I had. The other asked which store & the general manager would let me know. Never heard again.

I had trouble with Walgreen's for a different reason. I needed some control solution for my meter (I have diabetes). They didn't stock my brand and said they couldn't get it.

When I called Bayer (who makes my meter), they said Walgreens certainly could get it but probably wouldn't for fear of not being able to sell it all before it expired.

Bayer was nice enough to send me a bottle for free. Since then I have just gotten it online. I haven't asked at any other stores.

I have transferred all of our prescriptions to Bartell's. It's a local chain. I have had no problems with them whatever. They have even been nice enough to call my Dr. when he/she prescribed something that was not available so I could get something else. Or to call when the Dr. had in some way fouled up the prescription.

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I came across it while doing a pharmacy search.  I wanted tips to how to go about making sure my prescription is gluten free.  I usually go to Walgreens to get prescriptions filled, but after reading that many people had problems with gluten-free verification, I decided to try Target because of this thread.  I love it for everything else, so why not get my prescriptions filled there  :)

The pharmacist and technician were both extremely helpful, and when I was asked about allergies I said, "Celiac, so I cannot have gluten."  He immediately wrote that down spelling celiac correctly, big plus :) , and underlining gluten three times.  I was prepared to ask what brand they were going to fill it with so I could call the manufacturer myself, but he said they could call, which I know they did because I was there when they made the call.  

I'll admit I was anxious going in because this is the first time I've gotten a prescription filled since realizing gluten is a problem, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Thankfully all went well, and now I have my 50000 iu of gluten-free Vitamin D.  Positive thoughts that these will help my Vit. D increase!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

I haven't had to have my Target pharmacy check for gluten yet, but I have been very pleased with their service. The pharmacist knows her customers by name, and they are always very nice and helpful. I'll have to get them to add that note to my file. When I asked about it the last time I got something filled at Walgreens they looked at me like I was crazy, then acted as if I had said nothing at all. I looked the medication up myself on my phone.