This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Diet Isn't Working Anymore

Teddy's mom

Teddy's mom Rookie

After 7 years of diarrhea, my daughter was tested through blood work and biopsy for celiac. Both results were negative, but she went gluten-free anyway in Feb. 2010. She improved dramatically and felt she was gluten intolerance. She had been doing great, but diarrhea has returned, somewhat. Could she have become more sensitive? I saw her gastro MD and told her she was doing well on gluten-free a few months ago. MD said great, but a lot of people who go gluten-free have symptoms disappear for 6 mons and then the diarrhea etc. comes back. She didn't know why. Has anyone else experienced this? Should she be tested for other food allergies or intolerances? This is frustrating. What will there be left for her to eat? Just don't want her to give up gluten-free in case gluten could cause other health probs down the road, lupus, etc. Anyone else experience this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Having additional intolerances or allergies show up later is very common. However, there may also be gluten sneaking in someplace unsuspecting, such as CC from foods produced on shared lines or in shared facilities, shampoo, cosmetics, or skin/hair care products. Foods prepared in pans which are also used to prepare gluten-containing foods may be a source too. A toaster used for wheat bread is not safe (and cannot be reliably cleaned), so if she wants to toast gluten-free bread, she needs a dedicated toaster. Wooden utensils and cutting boards are also a no-no.

If the problem is from an additional allergy or intolerance, you might start looking at the top allergens, which include wheat (obviously), dairy, soy, eggs, corn, tree nuts, peanuts, and shellfish.

Processed Foods are subject to occasional reformulation, so rechecking labels is a good idea if you haven't already done so. Some foods may be more prone to CC than they used to be.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

i-geek Rookie

Have there been any changes in her diet recently? Something as simple as switching brands of a favorite food or beverage?

Otherwise, sadly other intolerances can develop. I'm 8 months gluten-free and am having GI issues again (although thankfully not anywhere near as bad as those last few months pre-gluten-free). Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm still recovering from being badly glutened a few weeks ago or if I'm developing a secondary casein intolerance. Not fun. Really hoping it's the former.

cassP Contributor

how old is your daughter??

im asking, because- as an adult- i've done a lot of dieting. and now, ive finally gathered enough info to know that some of the diet foods ive eaten cause bloating and "D". anything with Sorbitol, Malitol, Mannitol, etc... (even just chewing the gum!!)

also, SOMETIMES dairy gives me "D".

and if i've had too much tea or coffee.

too much Fructose can give me HORRIFIC bloating and pain- but usually doesnt give me "D"

and stay off the gluten- she felt great going gluten free- so i would stick with it

Teddy's mom Rookie

Thank you everyone for your responses!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I got more sensitive to cc as time went on. I eat a whole foods diet now. I hope that she improves.

missy'smom Collaborator

We've discovered, much to our suprize, that we've developed a number of food allergies. Alot of folks say testing wasn't helpful for them but it was for us. We didn't have good luck with the standard allergist but I found one who is informed about food allergies and routinely runs large food panels and believes in eliminating foods even if there is no anaphylaxis. We have been through a process of eliminating those foods that we tested pos. to and re-introduced them one by one to see how or if we reacted. It's been eye opening and very helpful. I've found that many of my reactions were GI in nature.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Make sure she isn't getting glutened somewhere first. Did you switch soaps, shampoos, conditioners? All that stuff gets in your mouth in the shower and bath, gets on your hands and then you eat. Look for hidden sources. Is she sneaking foods behind your back?

Archived