Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Are You A Celiac?

Since I have read your post, I have read that people have "celiac's" or "celiacs". I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but it's true!

Either "I'm celiac" or "I have celiac disease". And for what it's worth, people saying "Celiac's" drive me batty. It's not a name, it's an ancient Greek word. :ph34r: Sorry, had to get that off my chest. :P

I tested negative for the Celiac blood test, though because my Dr didn't tell me not to stop eating gluten until after the blood test, I'll never know if it's because I truly don't have it, or because of the botched blood work. In any case, I know that eating gluten makes me very, very ill, and in addition, exposure to certain grains causes respiratory and rhinitis symptoms.

So, to answer your question...

In a restaurant, I usually state that I have "a very severe gluten allergy." If they respond, "Oh, do you have Celiac disease?" I say yes, because part of me thinks the word "disease" makes them take it more seriously. (No idea if that's truly the case though!)

Among friends and family, we talk about my "gluten allergy" and my "grain allergy." Because technically I never tested positive for Celiac disease, we don't use that terminology privately.