Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SaraKat

Another Rib Cage Pain Question...

Mine is 95% of the time on the left side. In the last 12 months I have had a CT scan, chest XRAY, AB ultrasound, and an endoscopy. All they found was celiac, so I am guessing it is the celiac, but it is scary how bad the pain is.

I was beginning to think something with my pancreas, but all other tests were normal, so I am led to think it is a celiac thing.

Thanks!

Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10

Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10

Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Mine is 95% of the time on the left side. In the last 12 months I have had a CT scan, chest XRAY, AB ultrasound, and an endoscopy. All they found was celiac, so I am guessing it is the celiac, but it is scary how bad the pain is.

I was beginning to think something with my pancreas, but all other tests were normal, so I am led to think it is a celiac thing.

Thanks!

I had the same pain and had all the same tests. Negative on anything that could cause pain. Pain went away after I was reliably gluten-free - maybe 2-3 months. Hope your pain goes away soon.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Always on the left side. I've had so many tests and procedures done, thinking it was my heart, and then maybe esophageal spasming, etc... nobody has ever found anything except the celiac and a vit. D deficiency. It's reassuring that it's probably not my heart, but boy does it feel like it is!

Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

Hey,

You're not alone, I have that pain too. I have had similar tests done, all negative, and I am also assuming it is celiac.

I have been gluten free for about 2 months now, and it hasn't gone away yet. However, I did also figure out that I am tapioca intolerant a few weeks ago, so it may be a while longer for me. . .

I hope your pain, and mine, goes away soon! But you're definitely not alone.

You guys, I can't tell you how reassuring this is to read! Not that I wish these sensations on anyone, but for years now I've been fairly convinced that something is so wrong with me that maybe I'd die suddenly (no joke) and doctors wouldn't figure it out until my autopsy. Thank you so much for sharing what you've shared here!

Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

Dior- how did you find out about the tapioca thing? I am wondering if I should get additional food testing done.

JulandJo- This is definitely reassuring, I have seriously had the same thoughts!! I said to my husband- how can I be in this much pain and not be dead yet. That is how bad it is!! I even went to an oncologist before the celiac diagnosis, I thought it was cancer.

Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10

Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10

Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

Almost every other person I talk to with a gluten intolerance gets that pain on the left side in the region of the spleen. Pain on the right side would be possibly related to the gallbladder and possibly a different condition.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

JulandJo- This is definitely reassuring, I have seriously had the same thoughts!! I said to my husband- how can I be in this much pain and not be dead yet. That is how bad it is!! I even went to an oncologist before the celiac diagnosis, I thought it was cancer.

Hugs to you! I know, I've vacillated between thinking it's my heart, to maybe lung cancer, to "well, even though it feels like it's inside my chest, maybe it's really breast cancer". After reading these chest pain threads today I called my husband and my mom and told them all about it. This has seriously made my whole month!

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

I had that same pain for years and had so many tests, all negative. Turns out it was SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). I've since been treated (round of antibiotics) and I'm doing well. I have not had that pain since treatment. I can even tolerate cassein now. I'm able to have lactose free yogurt and lactose free yogurt cheese. I also follow the FODMAP diet to keep the SIBO at bay. Knock on wood!

40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye

-Diagnosed with
Colitis
via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10

-Following
FODMAP
diet since June '10, Positve
SIBO
test, July '10

-Diagnosed
non-celiac gluten intolerant
June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)

-
Osteopenia
June '10

-
Gluten free
since July '09 &
Soy free
since December '09

-
Dairy free
since '06

-
IBS & Sjogren's
diagnosed '05

-
RA
diagnosed as a toddler

You guys, I can't tell you how reassuring this is to read! Not that I wish these sensations on anyone, but for years now I've been fairly convinced that something is so wrong with me that maybe I'd die suddenly (no joke) and doctors wouldn't figure it out until my autopsy. Thank you so much for sharing what you've shared here!

OMG I have had these thoughts as well! I went to see a pulmonologist today sure I had lung disease or cancer or something. He spent a long time basically telling me I have GERD and I need to lose weight. I already know I need to lose weight (and I have been working on it) but this doctor had no idea about gluten. I don't think I have GERD either after looking it up. I told him I don't eat gluten, dairy or soy and then when he was giving me advice about what to eat he said I should not eat things like pizza and fried chicken! I said I already CAN'T eat those things (Unless I make them gluten free and thats a special treat). I eat grilled or baked chicken and steamed veggies mostly. Then he said I could have a sandwhich every once in a while if I ate it on whole wheat or multigrain bread instead of white. :o At least I wasn't talking to a GI doctor, but still annoyed me.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)