This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cherry Cookie Flour Substitute-Recipe Incl.

diwrom

diwrom Newbie

Hey there Friends! I would like to get some suggestions for a recipe my mom has used for years! Last year I tried Bob's red mill flour mix as a substitue, but my cookies lost their beautiful shape..tasted good but ugly. Any suggestions of a flour (mix) substitute?I do not know where this recipe came from..most likely betty Crocker, but who knows..

1/2 pd of Cream Cheese

1 cup of Crisco Butter Shortening

2 cups of Flour

- Mix above ingredients and chill for 8 hours

1- 16 oz Jar of Maraschino Cherries

1 bag of powdered sugar

drain cherries and remove stems. Let cherries dry on paper towel.

Roll Dough 1/8" Thick with powdered sugar in place of flour. cut dough into 2" x 3" pieces. Place Cherry in the center of the dough and wrap dough (looks like a pillow.) Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 min. After cookie has cooled for 5 min, roll in powdered sugar.

Here are the flours I have Potato starch, rice flour, Tapioca, xanthan gum, Sweet Sorghum flour, & white bean flour. I als have corn startch and some other things laying around I may have missed. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelindaLee Contributor

Hey there Friends! I would like to get some suggestions for a recipe my mom has used for years! Last year I tried Bob's red mill flour mix as a substitue, but my cookies lost their beautiful shape..tasted good but ugly. Any suggestions of a flour (mix) substitute?I do not know where this recipe came from..most likely betty Crocker, but who knows..

1/2 pd of Cream Cheese

1 cup of Crisco Butter Shortening

2 cups of Flour

- Mix above ingredients and chill for 8 hours

1- 16 oz Jar of Maraschino Cherries

1 bag of powdered sugar

drain cherries and remove stems. Let cherries dry on paper towel.

Roll Dough 1/8" Thick with powdered sugar in place of flour. cut dough into 2" x 3" pieces. Place Cherry in the center of the dough and wrap dough (looks like a pillow.) Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 min. After cookie has cooled for 5 min, roll in powdered sugar.

Here are the flours I have Potato starch, rice flour, Tapioca, xanthan gum, Sweet Sorghum flour, & white bean flour. I als have corn startch and some other things laying around I may have missed. Any suggestions?

My first choice would be to try 1/2 cup each sorghum, tapioca, potato starch and amaranth. (+1 tsp xanthan gum). Second choice, I would try 3/4c Tapioca, 3/4c cornstarch, 1/2 c bean flour and 1/4 sorghum. You will have a tad too much, but that was the closest converstion I could come up with. If you don't want any extra, maybe take a tablespoon or so out of the tapioca and cornstarch, and bit out of the other two. You'll also need 3/4-1tsp of xantham gum. You might have to play with the flour amount a bit too, just to make sure that it's not too dry or too soft. I usually sift my flours together first and then add to the wet ingrediants a bit at a time. These doughs are usually best chilled as a little stickier initially gives you a better outcome later.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Sorry this is not on your list, but...

King Arthurs gluten-free flour has so far worked cup for cup as a really great substitute for cookies. I am going to make muffins with it this weekend.

Yes it's more money but less bags of stuff less measuring and definitely better tasting. I stocked up when it went on sale so I will have plenty.

freeatlast Collaborator

Sorry this is not on your list, but...

King Arthurs gluten-free flour has so far worked cup for cup as a really great substitute for cookies. I am going to make muffins with it this weekend.

Yes it's more money but less bags of stuff less measuring and definitely better tasting. I stocked up when it went on sale so I will have plenty.

Mizzo, or anyone who uses King Arthur's flour, could you provide a link listing their ingredients? I searched for about 10 minutes or longer on their website and couldn't find it. I absolutely dislike the taste of brown rice flour and avoid it.

Or, would some kind soul who uses it look and see if brown rice flour is listed in the ingredient list and let us know? Thanks! I would like to try it if it doesn't.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Mizzo, or anyone who uses King Arthur's flour, could you provide a link listing their ingredients? I searched for about 10 minutes or longer on their website and couldn't find it. I absolutely dislike the taste of brown rice flour and avoid it.

Or, would some kind soul who uses it look and see if brown rice flour is listed in the ingredient list and let us know? Thanks! I would like to try it if it doesn't.

I used their bread mix yesterday to make hamburger buns. I no longer have the box but it listed rice flour, tapioca stach and potato starch as well as some "conditioners". I'm fairly certain it doesn't have brown rice, just plain rice flour. I remember because I looked at the box to see if I could make a similar mix for less by buying the separate flours. I have used their all-purpose flour in the past for pizza crust and pancakes and I think that also has rice flour and tapioca. King Arthur flours run about $7 per box in my area, but so far everything I have made with King Arthurs has turned out great. I get mine at Kroger, so if you have a Kroger store (or one of their sub-chains) in your area I would check there first.

freeatlast Collaborator

I used their bread mix yesterday to make hamburger buns. I no longer have the box but it listed rice flour, tapioca stach and potato starch as well as some "conditioners". I'm fairly certain it doesn't have brown rice, just plain rice flour. I remember because I looked at the box to see if I could make a similar mix for less by buying the separate flours. I have used their all-purpose flour in the past for pizza crust and pancakes and I think that also has rice flour and tapioca. King Arthur flours run about $7 per box in my area, but so far everything I have made with King Arthurs has turned out great. I get mine at Kroger, so if you have a Kroger store (or one of their sub-chains) in your area I would check there first.

I had no idea I could have been buying it at Kroger's this whole time. THANK YOU, thank you so very much!

I had no idea I could have been buying it at Kroger's this whole time. THANK YOU, thank you so very much!

That's the only place I have seen it so far. I hope you can find it at yours. My Kroger has a "diet food" aisle withe some gluten-free foods, but the gluten-free King Arthur's flour is not in that aisle, it's in the baking aisle right in the middle of the regular bags of flour. I always have to hold my breath when I take it off the shelf and then I wipe it down with a lysol wipe really quickly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Sorry , but yes it does contain brown rice flour.

freeatlast Collaborator

Thanks for letting me know. Won't be buying that. That's why I don't like the taste of Betty Crocker's mixes so much even though I've bought them several times. I do like the convenience of them though.

My apologies. The gluten-free multi-purpse flour has brown rice listed as the last ingredient. The gluten-free bread mix does not have brown rice, however. Here I found the ingredients listed for the bread mix: Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

King Arthur's carefully tested blend of white rice and whole-grain (brown) rice flours, tapioca starch, and potato starch is perfect for all of your gluten-free baking recipes. 24-oz. box.

Archived