Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamieappleby

Need Advice :)

I found out that I had Celiac Disease about a week ago. The first four days were amazing- I started feeling better immediately the next day after starting the Gluten free diet. However, on the fifth day I started using the oven to warm up my Gluten free toast. I put it on a clean pan on top of aluminum foil, but after eating the toast, I became sick. Same thing happened when I baked gluten free cookies in the oven. Is it possible that there is cross contamination going on in the oven? I've can't seen how it could happen but I would love advice or personal stories from others- thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Its possible its coming from the oven but I think there could be other more likely sources. What are you putting on your toast? Is the butter/peanut butter/jam been used by someone eating regular toast? If so, its contaminated with crumbs. What about the ingredients for the cookies? Did you use a package of sugar or other ingredients previously used to make regular baked goods? If so, it could be contanimated (i.e. small amounts of flour transferred into other packages on the measuring cups).

Gluten on the oven knobs? Do you wash your hands before you touch your toast?

Gluten on your mixer?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Do the bread and cookies both have tapioca starch in them? I had trouble with that one for a few months post-diagnosis. I can eat it now, but it used to upset my stomach.

Otherwise, yeah, check your ingredients. Anything that a glutened knife or measuring cup/spoon could have contaminated is cause for suspicion. I replaced all of my sugars and leavening agents for that reason. Ditto for peanut butter.

I found out that I had Celiac Disease about a week ago. The first four days were amazing- I started feeling better immediately the next day after starting the Gluten free diet. However, on the fifth day I started using the oven to warm up my Gluten free toast. I put it on a clean pan on top of aluminum foil, but after eating the toast, I became sick. Same thing happened when I baked gluten free cookies in the oven. Is it possible that there is cross contamination going on in the oven? I've can't seen how it could happen but I would love advice or personal stories from others- thank you!

It may be cross-contamination, it may be that you're super-sensitive, it may be that you have other intolerances.

My advice (given to me by other more experienced people when I was new) is to eat a pure, real diet after diagnosis for a month or two until you figure out some things. You won't know what is causing the problem for a bit.

Eat rice, potatoes, eggs, meat, fish, cheese, veggies, fruits. Avoid dairy, gluten-free bread/pasta/cookies. Eat lots of healthy food. After you feel consistently good, then add in toast a few times a week. Make cookies if you can eat toast without a problem. If the cookies are ok, try gluten-free pasta and so on. Some people react to dairy, soy, tapioca. Sometimes it's forever - sometimes it's just until you heal. Good luck!

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States