This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dallas/tyler Texas, Anyone?

thleensd

thleensd Enthusiast

So, this came across my google alerts today: Open Original Shared Link (which links back to the celiac.com site...nice) =)

I see that they're going to have pre-wrapped rolls, and one time use knives, and have the same person prepare the sandwich. All good things. I like. I wonder about the other cc issues though. How many times have you been to a Subway sandwich type place where they put some lettuce on... but it's too much, so they take their gluten-bread laden hands and put the lettuce back.

Trying not to be too cynical here, I HOPE they get it right!! So, Dallas! Help us out! Let us know how they do!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nor-TX Enthusiast

So, this came across my google alerts today: Open Original Shared Link (which links back to the celiac.com site...nice) =)

I see that they're going to have pre-wrapped rolls, and one time use knives, and have the same person prepare the sandwich. All good things. I like. I wonder about the other cc issues though. How many times have you been to a Subway sandwich type place where they put some lettuce on... but it's too much, so they take their gluten-bread laden hands and put the lettuce back.

Trying not to be too cynical here, I HOPE they get it right!! So, Dallas! Help us out! Let us know how they do!

I checked the website but could not find out any information about the locations of the Subway stores that will be offering the gluten-free items or even what those items will be. I live just outside of Plano and visit Tyler occasionally, so I am very interested in these plans.

I wrote to the company and will post any answer I receive.

larry mac Enthusiast

There seems to be at least three threads on the Subway gluten-free topic.

The Subway in Wylie does not have the buns yet. I'll keep checking with them and try it out ASAP.

best regards, lm

Nor-TX Enthusiast

There seems to be at least three threads on the Subway gluten-free topic.

The Subway in Wylie does not have the buns yet. I'll keep checking with them and try it out ASAP.

best regards, lm

Great!! Please post if you notice that the Wylie store has the buns. Have you tried the gluten-free menu at Sunny Street? I've eaten there several times and the attention to the gluten-free foods is amazing. They have a specific menu and the manager comes over to check that everything is done well. Also at the Chili's the manager comes over when he is alerted that someone has ordered from the gluten-free menu. All in all our little city has some yummy places to eat.

Happy eating!

QueenOfPain Rookie

I just so happen to live in the Tyler area! Hooray! I emailed the company the other day regarding their new gluten-free menu and my cc concerns. They just replied with a very generic email that pointed me back to the nutritional info section on their website. They said if I had questions about anything not listed on the pdf I could ask somebody at the actual store in my town. From what I've read they will be offering a gluten-free roll with a one-time use knife and a gluten-free brownie. I think the items are supposed to be available starting Monday, Jan. 10th. I know where I'm going to be eating lunch that day! Yay for Subway! I hope this test is a success so it will be offered nationwide.

Now if we could just get Burger King or Wendy's to start offering a gluten-free bun... =)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Yahoo!!!!!!!!! The locations now have the gluten free buns. If anyone would like a copy of the .pdf menu just email me or message me and I will send it to you. The location in Murphy across Sprouts and the one in Wylie both have the items.

Skylark Collaborator

Be CAREFUL at Subway. I've gotten shredded cheese on a salad with breadcrumbs in it and had to throw the whole thing out. I wouldn't eat there unless they have separate toppings for gluten-free, which is unlikely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

Be CAREFUL at Subway. I've gotten shredded cheese on a salad with breadcrumbs in it and had to throw the whole thing out. I wouldn't eat there unless they have separate toppings for gluten-free, which is unlikely.

With all due respect, that could happen at any restaurant. At least at Subway one can see what's happening. At places like Chili's, you have no idea what's going on in the kitchen. I've had salads at restaurants and could have sworn I tasted croutons. Imagination? Paranoia? Both?

best regards, lm

Skylark Collaborator

With all due respect, that could happen at any restaurant. At least at Subway one can see what's happening. At places like Chili's, you have no idea what's going on in the kitchen. I've had salads at restaurants and could have sworn I tasted croutons. Imagination? Paranoia? Both?

best regards, lm

I don't eat at Chili's either. I eat at places like P.F. Chang that state very clearly that they have dedicated woks and special plates, or my local B.J.'s that keeps a separate station for preparing the gluten-free pizza.

I can't imagine how Subway will pull this off. It will be interesting to watch.

QueenOfPain Rookie

No, they don't use separate toppings, but they do pull from the middle of the stack. I've eaten at Subway twice so far this week and have not had any problems. Their staff has been extremely careful when preparing my sandwiches. I applaud Subway for testing this out. And best of all, the bread and brownies taste delicious! Typing this post is making me crave another Italian BMT! ;-)

cap6 Enthusiast

Sorry but they need total separate ingredients bins before I would eat there. Pulling from the center isn't good enough. The thought of gluteny hands putting cheese etc in there to start with...? no way. I know CC can happen anywhere but at a fast food/sandwich place it seems it would be more common. Not for me.

larry mac Enthusiast

Sorry but they need total separate ingredients bins before I would eat there. Pulling from the center isn't good enough. The thought of gluteny hands putting cheese etc in there to start with...? no way. I know CC can happen anywhere but at a fast food/sandwich place it seems it would be more common. Not for me.

That's never going to happen. There's not enough demand to support a totally separate ingredient line.

I look at it this way. The kitchen staff at a restaurant most likely all have gluteny hands, and are touching all the food (including your's). I touch bread every day when I prepare my wife's food, so I have gluteny hands.

Are there going to be instances of cross contamination whenever we eat out? Of course, it's inevitable. We can do our due diligence and try to make the best decisions about where and what to eat out. That way we can minimize our exposure. But the only way to completely eliminate it is to never eat out. Some may have no choice but to do just that. Either they may be too extremely sensitive, have too many multiple intolerances , or simply be too squeemish to even consider it. Hopefully, there will be enough "mainstream Celiacs" that can tolerate the occasional case of minor contamination, and corporate America will be motivated to continue offering choices for us.

I say all this before actually trying out the new Subway gluten-free deal myself. When I actually go there, and if I get deathly ill or something, I may come back here and say, "forget my Subway pep talk"! :P

best regards, lm

best regards, lm

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I agree with larry mac. The consumer has pushed to get as many gluten free menu choices as we have and we could only hope that more will come. Subway is trying out the gluten free items in the Dallas/Tyler area as a trial run. If this is successful, they will add these choices to other Subways in other cities.

Granted, when we eat out there is always a chance of cc and if you are terribly sensitive then unfortunately you may have no choice but to resign yourself to the fact that you will not be able to frequent any restaurant. Every one I have been to always has a disclaimer on their gluten free menu that their facility is not 100% gluten free and that there is always a chance of cc.

I work in a school and am around children and staff who are not gluten free. I give myself 100% in effort to stay as far from gluten as possible. I don't go into the staff lounge on treat days, I wash my hands constantly and use enough hand sanitizer to support Germ-X.

I do eat out in a few restaurants and watch and hope that my food is being carefully prepared. I have to believe that they have my best interests at heart. I am 61 and at this age I am not prepared to stop going out or visiting friends or curtail my life in a most restrictive way. I have several different digestive issues and my diet is much more restrictive than just being gluten free.

I think we must support each and every establishment that offers gluten free items whether it is a supermarket or a restaurant. After all if there are no sales, there will be no more items for sale. Case in point., apparently there was a gluten free restaurant in Dallas that closed for lack of business. That was before I was dx, so I didn

kareng Grand Master

I'm wondering if you went when they first opened,if that would that be a good option. I might like to do that and save it for lunch. I could order mine to be made first and then get the boys gluteny ones after.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm wondering if you went when they first opened,if that would that be a good option. I might like to do that and save it for lunch. I could order mine to be made first and then get the boys gluteny ones after.

I think that's a good idea.

Skylark Collaborator

Are there going to be instances of cross contamination whenever we eat out? Of course, it's inevitable. We can do our due diligence and try to make the best decisions about where and what to eat out. That way we can minimize our exposure. But the only way to completely eliminate it is to never eat out. Some may have no choice but to do just that. Either they may be too extremely sensitive, have too many multiple intolerances , or simply be too squeemish to even consider it. Hopefully, there will be enough "mainstream Celiacs" that can tolerate the occasional case of minor contamination, and corporate America will be motivated to continue offering choices for us.

The incidence of refractory celiac in the US is increasing and doctors are scratching their heads. The article suggested that "mainstream celiacs" are probably eating too much gluten. I find it a little disingenuous to pretend that an immune system that is so well-tuned that it can eliminate single virus particles or react to invisible traces of animal dander is going to fail to react to something as large as a breadcrumb.

We need to educate places like Subway that people eating gluten-free as a fad are not representative of people with celiac disease. Shared sandwich toppings are really not the way to go if they intend to provide a product that is safe for people with celiac disease.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

This past Friday I picked up dinner at Subway. The server was very knowledgable when making my sandwich. He put on fresh gloves, got a bun (looked like a hamburger bun) which was packaged and a knife that was packaged separately. He put 2 pieces of paper on the board and carefully cut the bun. I ordered a Subway club with spicy mustard and red wine vinaigrette. He left it on the paper when he toasted it and when it came out he wrapped it twice. I also ordered a regular Club Sub for my DH. I chose the 2 bags of Lays baked chips and 2 gluten-free/df brownies. Bill was 20.00. They charge 5.00 plus 1.00 for the gluten free bun. At first I thought it was small (might be for men), but in the end it was enough for me. I was full.

Dinner was great, sandwich tasted great. I warmed up the brownie for 15 seconds and it was delicious. The brownie is parve which means it has no dairy ingredients. Not crazy about the vinaigrette flavor, but that was my own taste.

I have been in a Colitis flare for the last 3 months, and after dinner I didn't feel great but I believe it was a colitis thing rather than a gluten thing. All I have been eating lately is cooked rice and boiled chicken. This sandwich was a big difference to my recent diet.

I am definitely going to try the sandwich again when things calm down in my body.

I must say that the server named Rosevelt at the Murphy location was absolutely great. He was great at his job, informatiive, smiling and didn't think I was weird with all my questions.

I do believe you will be happy with this sandwich. It was so nice to eat a similar dinner to my husband. He said I was making, "MMmm" sounds!

cap6 Enthusiast

I understand what you are saying about the possibility of cc at any restaurant but I think I would be a little more concerned about a "fast food" place. That's just me. I'll be quiet now cause I may change my mind! :)

• 5 months later...
KillaSmilla Newbie

I just moved to Tyler, TX this week and was pleasently surprised to see gluten free bread at Subway! I tasted good too. The next day though, I went back for another and they were out. :(

I hope they get more in!

Let's keep ordering gluten free at Subway so the demand is up and they keep ordering more!

Archived